Headed for the Recycle Bin... and then saved!

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by nuccifamily, Jun 8, 2007.

1. While cleaning up some old files, I came across some images I took while at Venice Beach last July. This photo, along with a couple of others, were intended to capture a beautiful setting just north of Venice. I was trying to capture the moodiness of the sun shining through the mountains and lighting up the foothills, but I failed miserably. People in the way, bad exposure, etc. So, I was about to delete these images until I decided to play with one of them.

The first image, while not the actual image I modified (I no longer have that one) is similar to the one I worked on.

536129704_2ff1c0b5db_o.

So, I cropped out the people, did some levels adjustment and converted it to B&W.

536129716_c0e422989c_o.

It's not spectacular. Just a quick fix, but I love it. It almost has a film feel to me (Ned, please don't attack me for saying that! :eek: :biggrin::wink:) . This was the mood that I felt while there. And, yes, I just realized I need to clone out the wire... not sure why I missed that. It's just amazing to me all of the photos I have saved via cropping or a simple levels adjustment that I would have deleted in the past. While this is good for my soul, it is hard on the hard drive!

2. Peano

Peano

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    A very nice save! I like it. Maybe take it one step further and remove the wire?

beach.

3. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Great work

looks really nice and I like Peano's line removal.

I put some colour back in...

best wishes

Ray

[​IMG]

4. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Anthony,

The first thing I noticed in your image were the light rays streaming down through the clouds. Here is my 2 cent version and a different point of view. I wanted to see what it would look like without cropping all the people out.

After todays hot and hazy day, Venice Beach would be great :)  Nice image btw.

[​IMG]

Regards

RFC

PS. I'm just like you. I have gigs and gigs of old photos on my hard drives just waiting to be saved.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2007
  5. Peano

Peano

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    I like that gold, Ray. Very creative touch.

6. Nice work, Ray, Peano and RFC!
    Anthony...you have to learn how to remove wires!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

7. Thanks to all of you for looking and thanks for the EXCELLENT enhancements!

Peano/Virginia - I noticed the wire as I was posting this, as I mentioned above, but posted it anyway. I will definitely get rid of it in the original as Peano's fine adjustment shows how much better it looks without it.

Ray - As always, brilliant! Can you tell me the steps you took? This is much better than the B&W version.

Robert - Another great conversion and, again, better than mine. Nice work.

Thanks to all of you for looking and commenting.

By the way, tried cloning the wire out just now and I keep getting a slightly discernible trail across the photo. Any tips on how I avoid that? Is the clone tool the right tool?

8. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Many thanks

I must say I am torn between the b/w and the tinted....when I saw your original and then the b/w conversion I thought the b/w worked really well - very nice indeed. The removal of the wire by Peano just finished it off nicely.

From memory all I did was

Make an adjustment layer for levels.....

In Levels adjustment using just the rgb to start....pulled the left side in a little for some depth of colour.

Then I went to each channel in the levels and did as follows.

Red....move the centre point to the left a little and you will see the colour change ...adjust to taste

Blue.....move the centre point to the right a little...again to taste

Green....as for the blue ...centre point to the right

All of the above are to taste

Then I flatteneded the image.

At this point you could duplicate the image and set the mode of the top layer to soft light and adjust the opacity to see how it looks....however, you need not do that as most can be done in levels.

Alternatively, you could have simply created a new layer, set the mode to soft light and filled with a nice golden colour....adjust opacity to taste...

(I think that would work but am going from memory on that!!!)

Great image to save and I really think it would be nice framed - it has a nice feel aboput it.

Very best wishes

Ray

9. Peano

Peano

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    The clone tool will work in some areas (be sure to clone on a blank layer and soften the edge of the brush). In other places, this method is easier.

1. Select a thin strip alongside a wire, including a bit of the tree trunks on either side:
    wire1.

2. Copy and paste the selection to a new layer, and move it up to cover the wire. It will probably be a little darker than the surrounding pixels -- or lighter, depended on where you selected the patch.
    wire2.

3. Adjust levels to even out the luminance.
    wire3.

10. Thanks Ray for taking the time to post your detailed steps. I am torn, but I may end up printing the colored version. I really like the gold!

11. Thanks Peano! I appreciate you taking the time to explain. I actually did everything you have shown above except for the final step of adjusting the copied piece using Levels. I never thought about using Levels on this strip alone. Again, thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.