Headed to Australia. Looking to borrow memory cards .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TomP, Sep 10, 2017.

1. We are going to visit friends, and learn how drive left handed . :)

I would like to borrow some SDXC memory cards. We leaving on a 5 week trip to Australia. I am not taking my main laptop as it is too large and very heavy, I am traveling with a a little HP, with a dubious history. I would like to run duplicate memory and have enough to cover the whole trip as insurance for the laptop, I make take a spare hard drive also, but wonder if it would survive in the luggage..

In addition we have not flown since 06, ( we both then had cancer, recovered, and then the recession ) so any air travel tips will be helpful, as far as current electronics on board planes goes. I have never flown with my laptops, last trip I carried 2 250 GB hyper drives, and I mirrored them.

Thanks.

2. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  3. 480sparky

480sparky

May 27, 2013
    Cornpatch
    A 2GB USB drive will probably be 1/16th the size of the memory card the OP will be using.

4. Thanks. As obvious as using USBs are, and I have several, most in the @ 32 GB for recording TV.
    I have had mysterious failures with them, not sure if it is the thumbs or the hardware, so I have not even considered USB drives, then there is also the dicey computer which if it acts up, would turn the USB drive into a brick. Any recommendations for trusted thumb drives/type

5. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    For such a long and expensive trip, I wouldn't want to risk taking a computer which was known to be dicey.
    Could you either have the HP serviced (perhaps a new internal HD is all that it needs?) or consider renting a new one?

6. Just pulled an unopened SanDisk Ultra Flair, 32 GB USB 3.0 of my memory file , anyone know anything about the pedigree ? Like I said I just use them for video, so any loss has not been a issue.

7. Thank you. All $ are allocated, this trip is a gift from children and family.

8. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    I mis-typed previously:

I meant a 2 TB HD of course!

Like this one:
    Seagate 2TB Backup Plus Slim Portable External USB STDR2000100

Tom:
    You could try to remove all existing contents from the internal HD (store them on an external HD); and then reformat the internal drive and install a fresh system and only those applications which are essential to your trip.

That may be all that is necessary.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  9. Why do you need a computer ?
    Keep the pics on the cards and take a portable HDfor a 2nd copy

10. 480sparky

480sparky

May 27, 2013
    Cornpatch
    How many portable HDs have memory card slots in them? :cool:

11. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Tom, when are you leaving? I've got some never used SDSX cards (8GB) if you need 'em...

12. Good point, never mind that idea

13. Tom I have an Epson P-2000 I can let you use.
    40 GB.
    Not sure if it will take the card you listed.
    Let me know if you are interested.
    You pay shipping both ways.
    It's yours for as long as you need it.
    I use it for CF.

14. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    The Computer has the USB ports — for both the external HDs and for a Card Reader.
    :)

I just download and back-up from my cards each night.

[I do have an iPad but I no longer love it and prefer to always have my small 13" MacBook Pro with a proper keyboard and fully-fledged software with me instead. I don't love my iPhone either: I mostly keep it switched off and use it only for emergency calls — it never occurs to me to use its camera for any reason whatsoeverl!]

15. 480sparky

480sparky

May 27, 2013
    Cornpatch
    I think 99.9999% of people get that.

The suggestion was to forgo carrying said computer (replete with USB ports) and carry JUST the cards and a portable drive.

16. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    I also used to take a Sanho HyperDrive — an excellent little device — if you use cards which it can read.

Unfortunately, Sanho hasn't made one which can read the XQD cards which I now use; and a large-capacity USB external HD costs a fraction of the price of a HyperDrive.

17. Thanks Dave, I had forgotten all about the Epson P-2000. I really hesitate to borrow any thing I can break :). I need to look at the airlines and see where this battery issue at. That would be a handy unit. Thanks for the offer, I wish I had it on my last trip.

18. Why not use some cloud storage like Google Drive? You can get 1 TB of storage for $10/month and you don't have to worry about bring or losing anything. You can cancel it when you are back home. If you are a Amazon Prime member, you have unlimited photo storage.

19. That's a good idea

20. 480sparky

480sparky

May 27, 2013
    Cornpatch
    Again........... you need a computer to do this. OP is not wanting to carry a computer.