Heading in the wrong direction...

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
This is (of course) a Northern Pygmy Owl. I just love these little creatures (6 inches from top to toe), and their song in the spring looking for a mate. And this little guy (?) sure was singing. But not towards us looking on, he was calling away from us which was frustrating, since butt shots are not a favorite..... But then he turned his head 180 degrees around, for a very brief moment, while a small cloud passed by the cut out the harsh glare from the sun and I fired away and got a few images before he turned his head back to calling for that special her (?). Then I came home and realized after awhile that the body of the Owl had not turned and it was just the head that was heading in the wrong direction, its neat that they can do that, isn't it?

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lovely detail, and story.

yeah, owls have large fixed eyes and must turn their heads to locate things by sight or sound. Extra bones in their neck, and other features, allow them almost 300º of rotation:

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Thanks all for the kind words and Nicks also for the interesting Video

Very nice image - sharp with great feather detail, great bg.

Nice image - glad you had the patience to wait for the head turn.

Beautiful, I didn't know they could move their head like that.

Wonderful capture..Beautiful little guy

What a find Andreas, congrats. Superb image, the detail is incredible.

Lovely detail, and story.

yeah, owls have large fixed eyes and must turn their heads to locate things by sight or sound. Extra bones in their neck, and other features, allow them almost 300º of rotation:

What a great find and capture Andreas. I have never seen one of these little owls before.

Latest threads

Top Bottom