Heading out to New Mexcio in the fall

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by gerryblake, Aug 1, 2007.

1. gerryblake

gerryblake

Jan 29, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey friends,

I am heading out to New Mexico in the fall and was wondering if anyone can tell me about "the cool" spots to hit while visiting. I will be staying in Santa Fe with one of my bubbies. I would love to visit some of the old run down towns. Thanks for the help.

2. There is a small 'village' north of Santa Fe that is a must see (at least for me) called Chimayo. Lot's of history. Also further north is the Taos Pueblo. Santa Fe itself has a lot to offer as well.

3. Little Cub

Little Cub

Feb 13, 2007
    Vegas, baby!
    Hi Gerry,

There is a small town aprox. 45min north of Santa Fe. The name...Las Vegas. No gambling, but there is a restaurant off the highway called Johnny's Mexican Restaturant. I grew up in New Mexico, and that is one of the best palces for true New Mexican cuisine. One of the head chefs is Lester, a bit on the sarcastic side, but he is one awesome cook.
    For pictures, if you go north (towards Las Vegas) and get off at the Santa Rosa Exit there is a very very small town called Anton Chico. There is alot of history and stories about brujeria (witches). The town is amazing with adobe houses, though, the people in both Las Vegas and Anton Chico tend to be on the "cold" side.
    As Jim said, Chimayo is a nice town. Wagon Mound is also a very small town. It is more famously know for it's (666) area code and for many Stephen King movies and stories!
    Hope this helps! Have fun!

Little Cub

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gerry :

Wow. A lot of places to visit. Let me offer some thoughts.

• Drive up from Albuquerque to SF on NM 14, the "Turquoise Trail", and go through some rather neat villages with spectacular views.
    • Drive down from SF to Cochiti Tent Rocks.
    • Take the "High Road" from SF to Taos through Nambe, Chimayo, PeƱasco, and Truchas, through some wonderful NM villages, then through Ranchos de Taos, onto Taos Pueblo, and make a stop at the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge.
    • Try the run up to Ghost Ranch (Georgia O'Keefe country), Echo Amphitheatre then onto Ojo Caliente for a soak in the springs.
    • Drive up through the Valle Vidal to Questa, then back down through Red River and Angel Fire.
    • Drive over to Bandelier NP near Los Alamos.
    • If you're around in late September, walk around the mountains near Santa Fe. The Windsor Trail can take you through aspen groves, up mountains, past high country meadors and lakes.
    • Wander around SF for the day, the opportunities are almost endless for seeing just what "Santa Fe style" really means...

The Land of Enchantment has immense opportunities to offer the interested person.

John P.

5. You've gotten some great advice from the fine folks above. I'd add that if you end up here in late October, the Cottonwoods along the Rio Grande and other water spots will be glorious.

6. gerryblake

gerryblake

Jan 29, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    WOW guys!! Looks like I am going to be very busy :) Cant wait to get out there, I am really looking forward to this trip. Now, off to "google" some of these fun places. Thanks again for your time and help. Mmmmmm, this trip might just give me a reason to buy a new lens. What you think??

7. A Nikkor 17-35 or 12-24 would be perfect.

8. gerryblake

gerryblake

Jan 29, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Looking into the Sigam 10-20 right now, looks like it is a great lens. Seen some wonderful pictures on here taken with that lens.

9. Debbi

Debbi Guest

You will LOVE the Sigma 10-20. Great landscape lens!

10. I didn't see when you will be making the trip (or missed it). If you are there in early Oct. be sure to include Fiesta in Alb from the 5th-15th!! www.balloonfiesta.com .
    We'll be there flyin' & shootin' ! !

11. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Don :

Did someone say "Balloon Fiesta" ? :biggrin:

[​IMG]

That's from a pre-dawn light-off in 2005 (shot with my rusty and dilapidated D100 :wink:).

John P.

12. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
  13. gerryblake

gerryblake

Jan 29, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for the link!! Going to look for deals today on flights out there. So lookin forward to this trip. Thanks again for all the great info guys!!

14. John P. - that is a nice shot of one of the Dawn Patrol balloons! Hope you had enough fun to go back!!

15. idelsoni

idelsoni Guest

If you really want to find the hot spots for shooting you might want to check out any of a number of publications. Laurent Martres has a series of books called Photographing the Southwest. One of the volumes concentrates on Colorado and New Mexico. Website is phototrip.usa

Another option are the PhotoTravel newsletters phototraveler.com

And a third option are the Photograph America newsletters photographamerica.com

I have used the Photographing the southwest books as well as the phototravel newsletters for my last 2 trips to Utah. They were very helpful.

I just recently learned about the photographa america newsletters. I just oredered 3 for my upcoming trip to AZ (one on Grand Canyon south rim, on one Sedona and on one Monument Valley / Canyon de Chelly)

Hope this helps.

Have a great trip,
    Ira Idelson

16. gerryblake

gerryblake

Jan 29, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    This is great advise!! I am heading out to the book store tonight, so I will make sure to take a look around at what they have in stock. Thanks again for all the helpful tips guys :)