Heading south for 10 days--as in South America

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jczinn, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Really really south...off tomorrow to Peru for 10 days of birding and photography! I've been pretty swamped at work pre-trip and so haven't been on the forum all that much, but I hope to have more time in the fall. And I'll certainly post some Peru shots!

We are going to a cloud forest lodge for a few days, where there should be amazing birds, bugs, and some specialties like Cock-of-the Rock (national bird of Peru); and I hope to finally get some hummingbird shots. I am going to "steal" my husband's D70 specifically for the hummers, so I can take advantage of the 1/500 flash sync. (The D70 will also serve as a back-up in case of any problem with the D100).

Then, we will spend 5 days in the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu.

If anyone is interested the full itinerary can be seen here: www.jczinn.com/peru05.htm

I am taking the D100, Tamron 90 macro, the 80-400VR for birds (of course!) and for general/scenery, the 17-35 Tamron and the 24-120VR Nikon. I am opting to leave the Nikon 12-24 at home. Is that a mistake? I just find that lens hard to use, for some reason. You can't use it with a polarizer (easily) and when I look at the shots I've taken with it, most are at 17mm and higher anyway. I am planning to try some panoramas, if I want that extra wide view.

There's still time to change my mind on that, however!

2. Wow sounds like a real nice trip cant wait to see the shots, I always look forward to your vacation posts. I think you can leave the 12-24 behind you got al your bases covered. Have a great trip

3. Oh how I envy you!!!! The Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu!!! Take lots of pictures and show us when you get back. Travel safely!!!!

4. It will be exciting for you and also for us as we await the images from your trip. Have fun.

5. What a wonderful vacation you are going to have. Can't wait to see you photos. Have a great time.

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Janet,

My advice, bring everything with you that you can pack safely. The 24-120mm would probably work out just fine...but why be limited if you don't have to be. If room in your camera bag is a problem, then that is a different story.

Have a safe trip...looking forward to seeing some wonderful images real soon!

7. Janet,

Have a great trip! I am looking forward to your return and photos!

I would take it all with you! If you opt not to use it fine but if you want to use it and it is home, it's a hell of a ride! :p

Enjoy!!!

8. Thanks all! The camera bag is stuffed to the gills (Lowepro Trekker) because I've also got to fit my spouse's D70 and lens in it...I think bringing one lens for him, and four for me is enough! So the 12-24 is staying home, I really don't think I'll miss it. Arrgh as I am typing this I am wondering if I should switch it out with the 17-35.

I still have two hours to decide :grin:

9. Well now both lenses (12-24 and 17-35) are sitting out. I guess my thinking was that the Tamron 17-35 is sharper than the 24-120VR in the 24-35 range, where I do tend to shoot alot. But, the difference is probably not noticable in the "real world" (i.e., not the 100% crop world :wink:)

so now I'm thinking its silly not to have that extra bit of range that I get with the 12-24. Just in case.

10. Let's see if I get this straight. You are off for a vacation, WITH your husband. You are "stealing" HIS camera for your hummer shots. You are taking 4 lenses for you and 1 for him, your camera bag is stuffed to the gills.

hmmmmmm,

1. Sure seems like you have YOUR priorities straight :lol:
    2. You need another bag :wink:

My advice, if you have ANY thought whatsoever that you MIGHT need something, take it along. You may not use it if you have it, but for sure you WILL need it if you don't :wink:

Have a super trip, sounds like some really neat places to go.