Headless swimmer

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by McQ, Jul 22, 2007.

1. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

From our most recent swim meet. Lucky timing!

Data: Nikon D 200 with 70-200mm 2.8 VR; Shutter priority; 1/500; f9; ISO 640; focal length 200mm
  2. cool shot. i wish your shutter speed was higher and your aperture was lower.. would have freezed the water much more successfully IMO.
  3. Wow! I've taken a few like that too, which is why I always shoot the fly from the front now, no "headless horsemen" that way.

If you would have bumped up your aperture to f2.8 you'd have been shooting at 1/1500+ to totally freeze the water and hands too, then you could have gone to a little +EV action too. Just a thought.

Here's a couple of shots with my 80-200 f.28 shot at 1/400th, ISO800, f3.2, 80mm, +0.67EV, so you can still freeze the action at the right part of the stroke, even indoors, in Michigan, in the winter.

and a couple more shot at 1/400th, ISO800, f2.8, +0.67EV, and 200mm

at headless swimmer!

now you can see his head!

So you really DON'T have to have a fantastic shutter speed to freeze the water splashes, but it helps, that and good focusing and a sharp & narrow DOF too.
  4. McQ

Yeah, changing that aperature would have been nicer. I had been monkeying around with shutter priority vs. manual that day, and trying some different things. It was my first good headless shot (not that that is my goal, obviously) and wanted to see some reactions. I had enough light to go much higher on shutter speed if I wanted. Good tips guys. Thanks.
  5. eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Swimming shots are so cool, but I have yet to give that a try. The headless shot should be sent to Jay Leno and David Letterman, maybe they can create some sort of spoof with the image on the air.
  6. maybe we should start a headless thread

7. niknd501

May 13, 2006

Your #2 and #3 are fantastic shots...

McQ14 - - - your shot made me chuckle...Nice
  8. McQ

Thanks. Me too!
  9. Or, you could end up with this scary creature ...

(Our son, Ryan, at his first swim meet doing the 25 yd butterfly ... his favorite event.)

Love all of the shots in this thread ... hope you don't mind my adding one.