Headshots

Discussion in 'People' started by Uncle Frank, Apr 29, 2005.

1. People-pics are my favorites, and headshots can be so revealing. Here's some samples from last weekend's shoot.

Golden couple

Service with a smile

Giving me attitude

Two generations of beauty

A proud man

The good reason why he's proud

Seen it all

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Wow! now I know i have a lot to learn. Those are great. I think the last one is my favorite.

3. Thanks, Leigh :). Once you get into it, you'll be surprised how easy headshots are.

4. Excellent shots Frank. Lets take the first image, I notice the the brightest light was coming from the rear of the couple, how did you fill in the lighting from the front? Reflector, fill flash, building reflection??? Same question on #4.

5. Fill flash on #1, Gordon. Artificial fill flash (Photoshop levels selective adjustment layer) on #4.

6. Thanks Frank, hope I can do as well.

7. Not to disturb Frank's topic but I was able to control facial shadows using the following setup. This is NOT me on the picture. I just found this great example online.

[​IMG]

8. Gordon, I've seen your work, and you'll have no problems at all. I'm very much looking forward to seeing your wedding gallery :).

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Great faces Frank! Shooting that wedding was a marvelous creative opportunity wasn't it?

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Good series for those of us that are new to this hobby. Always nice to have a variety of good examples on hand.

I like all of the shots, but I too like the last the best.

Regards,

Frank

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    ALl good shots, Frank,

Love the 1st couple's shot and of course, still my fave, is "the look" shot of the bridesmaid!

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Big portable softbox?

Hey Jay, what is that contraption? I wonder if it would work even better on a Stroboframe-type rig?

13. Re: Big portable softbox?

Steve,

This diffusser is LumniQuest's SoftBox
    http://www.lumiquest.com/lq925.htm

I used my stroboframe w/ SB-800 and SoftBox when I photographed the wedding.

14. Thanks, Chris. Yes, and it was a helluva learning experience... a lot to digest in a short period. I've been spending my time editing and evaluating ever since, and haven't picked my camera up once this week.

15. Thanks, Flew. Maybe I'll start a trend, and get some of you birders to aim your lenses at people ;).

16. JAM

JAM

Apr 30, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Frank, you're on the right track!

The key to headshots is to not make them look 'posed'. Your number 2 (waitress) is great.

Here are a few quick things I did - hopefully you don't mind:

1. Cropped it a bit.
    2. Cloned out her order pad - it might distract from that alive look
    3. Cloned out some of the 'flyaways' in her hair
    3. Used the dodge tool to bring up the exposure of the catchlights in her eyes
    4. Just a touch here and there with the spot healing brush in PSCS2

Took just a minute or two.

[​IMG]