Health,age and photography.

This may be long and boring and if should not be posted please remove. As one becomes older I cannot believe how health can decline. For 30 yrs or so I never became ill. Have dealt with diabetes very well until recently and it is now a struggle. When I hit my 60's had a heart attack but came thru with a stent implant and did well. Three years later I came close to dying when I was shoveling snow in a big snowstorm and my glucose level dropped to 40 and was still dropping. Now one day when we were hitting 27 below zero I am getting up and starting bouncing around the room and could not stand up. Taken to the hospital and had pneumonia. Three days in the hospital fed a super antibiotic. Came home and was wiped out. Was asleep and someone touched me and I see my Daughter looking down at me. My wife had been calling for help and I did not hear her. A relative had called my wife and realized she was ill. Called my daughter. Wife has been in good health in general. She was rushed to the hospital and would have died from a massive infection through out her system. A few hrs more she would have been gone. Never really had problems like this until age seems to be a factor. What does this have to do with Photography. When finally home I started looking at photos that were shot for memories. Of friends and family long gone. Friends and family still here but good memories of the past and present. Never take life for granted. If are a photographer make memories for yourself. Now I hope to live long enough to see great grandchildren and create more memories.

So glad to hear that all is better now, and your advice is well taken. My wife and I realize how fortunate we are to reach our late 70s with no health problems, but seeing friends our age suddenly get stricken is sobering.

Hope to see you posting photos from interesting activities, Dennis.

I’m not one to bring a lot of attention to myself, but since this thread addresses health issues, I’ll share what happened to me last year 3 days before Thanksgiving. Even though, most of us have never met face to face I feel a real friendship with you all due to our exchange of ideas and responses to postings.
Three days before Thanksgiving last year I was in our Financial Advisors office when I completely and unexpectedly went into Cardiac Arrest. Fortunately, the office manager knew how to perform CPR properly and the EMT’s came within 5 minutes of being called. I’m told it took the EMT’s 25 minutes, with CPR, shocks and injections straight into my heart to finally get a pulse. I owe my life to several fast-acting folks, and I just can’t think of a proper way of thanking them. Anyway, I spent the next 3 days in ICU, came home on Thanksgiving. The obvious question is, what did my stock broker tell me that caused this, and he swears all is GOOD.
I’ve never had a heart issue, I have low blood pressure and my veins are completely clear, they checked all of this in ICU. I’ve never been one for being too melodramatic about things, but this is life changing for me and my wife. My only restrictions for a few months were not to lift my left arm above my head or stretch behind back or lift anything heavy. So, with those restrictions, I was advised by the doctor to forgo Bosque last year.
I have a pacemaker/defibrillator installed, which I’m told will keep me in good condition and revive me should this very happen again, which I’m told by the doctor I’ll probably never have this happen again.
But I’ll tell you my chest was so sore it hurts to even move slightly and only now is getting back to normal. When I told the doctor about my chest, they told me that if CPR is done correctly, I probably have some broken cartilage and or cracked or broken ribs. Small price to pay for your life.
I feel blessed, to be able to begin my second life.
I’m understanding and appreciating more than before how important your community of friends are in addition to one’s family. Kind of jerks one back to reality about what’s important in life.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I’m not one to bring a lot of attention to myself, but since this thread addresses health issues, I’ll share what happened to me last year 3 days before Thanksgiving. Even though, most of us have never met face to face I feel a real friendship with you all due to our exchange of ideas and responses to postings.
Three days before Thanksgiving last year I was in our Financial Advisors office when I completely and unexpectedly went into Cardiac Arrest. Fortunately, the office manager knew how to perform CPR properly and the EMT’s came within 5 minutes of being called. I’m told it took the EMT’s 25 minutes, with CPR, shocks and injections straight into my heart to finally get a pulse. I owe my life to several fast-acting folks, and I just can’t think of a proper way of thanking them. Anyway, I spent the next 3 days in ICU, came home on Thanksgiving. The obvious question is, what did my stock broker tell me that caused this, and he swears all is GOOD.
I’ve never had a heart issue, I have low blood pressure and my veins are completely clear, they checked all of this in ICU. I’ve never been one for being too melodramatic about things, but this is life changing for me and my wife. My only restrictions for a few months were not to lift my left arm above my head or stretch behind back or lift anything heavy. So, with those restrictions, I was advised by the doctor to forgo Bosque last year.
I have a pacemaker/defibrillator installed, which I’m told will keep me in good condition and revive me should this very happen again, which I’m told by the doctor I’ll probably never have this happen again.
But I’ll tell you my chest was so sore it hurts to even move slightly and only now is getting back to normal. When I told the doctor about my chest, they told me that if CPR is done correctly, I probably have some broken cartilage and or cracked or broken ribs. Small price to pay for your life.
I’m understanding and appreciating more than before how important your community of friends are in addition to one’s family. Kind of jerks one back to reality about what’s important in life.
Amazing and scary story! You will really appreciate Bosque this year!

I am very glad you survived. The scary part is when one day you are doing well and then your are hit with the issue out of nowhere.

Two different themes I would like to comment on.
I am just coming back from my mothers funeral. Terrible loss, but she is in a better place, at 91. Large picture boards with hundreds of images were throughout the church. It was glorious. Many fine artistic portraits over the years of her and the family, grandkids, great grandkids, etc. But many were just snapshots. The snapshots we "look down at." They were terrific as well. They were candids of everyone. It reminded me to take lots of family pictures. And then print them. They need to be available and viewable. They can bring back wonderful memories, that would otherwise be lost.
Gary

I am in the medical field, and a small token of thanks, especially with Louis's skills, I can essentially guarantee would be remembered by them for years. Believe it or not, it essentially never happens.
I was fortunate to need an annual physical when I was racing cars, scca, pca. Tracks like Sebring and Daytona. It was a hoot.
At 50 I was found to have a large colon cancer. I received excellent care and 14 years later I am still cancer free. At my 10yr anniversary we had a large dinner party for all the physicians involved in my care. I thought it was the right thing to do. Turns out in their entire careers no one had ever thanked them with any more than a note. Never, not once. So I now hand out prints. My dentist is coming in early Monday to work on a broken crown so I do not miss too much work, a large print of my preening Rosie will be in my hands when I go.
Spread your work, it will be appreciated.
Gary

Spread your work, it will be appreciated.
I've never sold a print nor worked for money. However I have given away some 50+ prints to people who deserved them or needed them - - students, fellow faculty, student organizations, my fish monger, insurance agent, my bathroom remodeler, a neighbor who lost her husband, my daughters realtors, and so on.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom