Heather (Two new pictures added)

Discussion in 'People' started by greyflash, Apr 6, 2007.

1. My granddaughter Heather came to visit this weekend so I took advantage and snapped this picture by natural light in my garage. D2H and 85mm f1.4 lens. Shot was taken at f2.8 and no reflectors or other artificial means were used.

Heather is a cheerleader at a high school in Salt Lake and is a junior.

original.

original.

original.

2. great image with great light and boy is she pretty!

3. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Hi Gordon.

Thanks for all the feedback you give in the forum.

Your Grandaughther is a beautiful young woman but I thought I might be able to play with the shot you took a bit.

Basically, it seemed to me like you needed a third of a stop or so below your selected exposure (or a Fuji S5 maybe) to avoid the bright highlights on her face.

Anyway, I grabbed the shot, open it in NX and tried to tone down the bright patches with about five control points. Before doing that, I moved the gray point in levels to slightly darken the whole image.

This resulted in an apparent increase in saturation and thus a reddening of the skin so I applied a Conversion to B&W Step and dialled that now to 30% opacity.

This was a very quick edit and I am sure a better job can be done particularly with the local contrast at those control points.

ORIGINAL & EDITED
    original. original-da-1.

4. Thanks Dave, I think she is pretty special both inside and out.

5. Thanks for your attempt Dayo. Actually Heather works in a tanning studio so she has fairly dark skin that is on the reddish side. I felt that the colors in the original were pretty close to her actual skin color. Some how I have lost my diffuser that I normally use for this type of shot so there are some highlights as you have mentioned. None of them were blown so I chose not to tone them down but do appreciate your effort at doing that. I do find your conversion to be a little "muddy" on my calibrated monitor.

6. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Gordon. Excellent stuff. I have been battling with some portraits I took today and will be putting it up for suggestions on improvements. Hope to see your input.

7. Gordon, Nice portrait of Heather; she is a beautiful young lady.

8. Life must be rough being surrounded by all these beautiful people in your family Gordon...

A nice shot of a very lovely young lady.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2007
  9. Excellent lighting here Gordon............ it seems you can't go wrong with the garage light!

A beautiful young lady, beautifully captured.

G

10. Thanks a bunch Darrell.

Brian, I will tell her you said so, thanks.

The best would be to use the garage on an overcast day or early in the morning. Course young ladies don't get up early in the morning when there is not school. Thanks Graeme.

11. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    She is beautiful Gordon, and a very nice capture. Great job with the 85 1.4 - I am currently not on speaking terms with my 85 1.4. It's been a hot and cold relationship since day one - I plan to give it another "shot" on Sunday.

I must try this garage technique.

12. I like it a lot and she reminds me a lot of my godchild's daughter who suddenly woke up one morning a glorious young woman.

I think this one would be worth going back in and seeing if you can tone down her teeth. The eye is naturally drawn to certain parts of a face, the mouth being one, and with that hot spot there it's an issue. Sometimes I'll process a shot just to get the best processing on a certain thing and then cut and paste it onto the other. With a little erasing and perhaps some blending options tried, no one is the wiser.

13. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Great tips - there's something to learn from nearly every thread.

14. I have been the same way with the 85mm f1.4 lens but have decided it could be my friend and use it much more than I did at first. It is an unforgiving lens for sure. Thanks for you nice comments Fred.

Her teeth are pretty white Woody, thanks to the dentist. I will give that a try for sure and appreciate your tip. Thank you for the glorious young woman comment, she will love that one.

15. I have added two new pictures to this thread.

16. The two new images are cool Gordon............ it's interesting how much her face changes in the 1st new image as she is not smiling and showing her teeth.......... makes her look "older" but not in a bad way!

The third image posted, the B/W........... beautiful work...............

G

17. I too like the B&W Graeme. I think your right about the differences between #1 and #2. At that age they all want to look older so she will probably like what you said. Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

18. Gordon,

The model is beautiful, the picture is great. However, there's something that I find a little distracting. Her mascara seems too heavy that her eyelashes bunch up together and have some residue, unless this is deliberate. Other than that, everything looks fine.

Leo

19. She is a teenager and I love her, I don't tell her how to put on her mascara. I'm just her grandpa. :wink: :smile:

20. Gordon,

Beautiful as always! No matter what anyone else says! Your photos have always made me want to try harder!