Hectic Day: A comparison of PS filter & blending techniques

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by beaucamera, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Today I tried a new smart object composition and thought it would be informative to use as an example of different PSCS filter/blending techniques. This one is called "Hectic Day." I'd appreciate you comments and would like to know if you have a preference among these versions.

Thanks, Virginia
    aka beaucamera

Image #1 is the original composition with normal blending.
    ihectic_day_1.

Image #2 used the filter "smug sticks" and has normal blending.
    ihectic_day_2.

Image #3 is the same as image #1 but has multiply as the blending mode.
    ihiectic_day_3.

Image #4 is the same as #4 but the opacity is 50%.
    ihectic_day%20_4.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Virginia,
    Love the colors and the layout , except the very front item, seems a tad distrcting.

Your really good with the smart object.

3. Thanks, Gale, I am hoping to get one of these printed today. I'm not sure I can do anything more with this so I'll just hope for the best.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. david casius

david casius Guest

I love the first one, could you explain how you did it?

Image #1 is the original composition with normal blending.
    ihectic_day_1.

5. Thanks, David. I ended up printing and mounting #1, which you can see "sort of" against a set of mugs I recently made.

The process for doing an image like "Hectic Day" is complicated. This image is actually four different images, placed on a transparent canvas that is 11 X 14 inch. Each of these images was a PSCS2 "smart image".

In this case each of the images, except the background image, was extracted from another source using very precise masking. Once you've masked the image, you select the left image box in the layer, load the selection and invert it. I often move it to another transparent canvas, where I remask and clean up the image. There is a flyout window on the layers pallette which allows you to create (and edit) a "smart object". There is a little box in the right corner to identify your image as a "smart image." You can then save the image in the "pbs" file format (which I assume stands for "Photoshop big size"). As an aside, one thing I've learned in doing "smart objects" is that there is actually an option to store them at 32-bits!

In "Hectic Day" I stacked 9 layers with "pbs" objects, then latter flattened them to experiment with different blending modes. A word of caution here. You can end with some pretty large files so be prepared.

Hope this answers your question. If not, give me a holler.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

P.S. I used my library of smart objects in creating these mugs too.

6. david casius

david casius Guest

Virginia, thanks so much, great explination. Can this be don in PS-CS1. I dont have CS2 yet. So I'm not familiar with Smart Objects or what they do. I will try this with CS1 in the meantime.

Thanks

7. Sorry, David, you'll need to upgrade to PSCS2 if you want to use smart objects. That doesn't mean you can't try something like this in CS1. You just won't be able to scale objects. Why don't you give a collage a shot and see what you can come up with? Good masking takes practice no matter what version of CS you are using. (P.S I use an Wacom Intuos 3 to do this).

Virginia
    aka beaucamera