Hehe, blog is up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by virtuamike, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Great to see another blogger with a camera! I look forward to seeing all your stuff there - I'll link to your blog from mine soon! ;) (So all six of my readers can go see you too! )

2. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    I hate to ask this but I must...what does BLOG mean? I'm just not familiar with that word but am seeing it around the forum..

Thanks and best,

Gaye

3. It's like a journal or an open diary. Mine is a photoblog so it's a journal on all things photography related. The thing with a blog compared to a regular webpage is that people get to leave comments so it's very community oriented.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Gaye, a web log also changes often, but you can get to all the past links through a calendar like archive (Mike - I like your horiz. calendar.) And you can refer to just one particular entry, and the link doesn't change. So when you say interesting things, or post cool pictures, other bloggers will link to you. Eventually it gets onto cable news where they will read your blog from a computer screen and call it news.

You can publish a blog for free, (or almost free with more features) with only a little bit of effort. Here is a popular freebie.

5. Cool gallery....what in-camera settings do you use?

6. RAW so everything is off. Color space II (Adobe). Auto WB -1. Manual w/ spot meter the majority of the time.

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks-- now I understand it.... and now I want to make a photoblog...so will think about that this week.... maybe I can follow the steps in the link you sent, Chris.

And Chris, I sure enjoy your many avatars. You look like you just came out of the pool in this one... I'm a swimmer so that thought came to me when I saw it. Your avatars are great!

I may be back with questions about how to make the BLOG.

Best to you and thanks very much!

Gaye

8. So do you have a typical workflow? Your pics just look like they "pop" more than the average D70.

9. Typical workflow is convert from RAW with Nikon View into Photoshop 7. Sometimes I'll use Nikon View to bump the exposure up or down but I save the rest of the adjustments for PS. Once it's exported I do level and curve to adjust for overall brightness and contrast (small S curve), and then color balance for WB if needed (moreso for low light and indoor shots). If it's something I'm prepping for print then I'll make a grey overlay and do a dodge/burn (about a third of the pics in the gallery were D&B). Then it's just resize, sRGB convert, sharpen w/ USM, and save for web.

10. what does the grey overlay and dodge/burn accomplish and how does it work?

11. 50% grey overlay. Make a new layer and fill it with 50% grey. Change blend from normal to overlay. Use the dodge/burn tool on the overlay itselt and not the background layer. That way you're working off an adjustment layer instead of dodge/burning actual pixels, much smoother. You can also change the layer opacity to adjust the overall effect.

I picked it up at a workshop. I don't have any darkroom experience, but bodge & burn is an old tool for selectively brightening and darkening exposure in areas of your shot. Say you have a face and want to bring it out more. You could dodge the eyes, forehead, cheekbones, and lips to emphasize features, then burn the sides of the face and neck to darken and give it more pop. Same with hair to give it more life. Can also burn the edges and corners for a vignette effect. Just don't get too carried away. Keep your brush sizes big and around 10% exposure. The best processing is the stuff you can't see.

12. Thanks for the idea. I hope that mine turns out half as nice as yours!

13. I ended up using this site. I like it. I didn't have to play with anything and I think it turned out okay. My blog site is http://gbenic.blogspot.com/.

If anyone would share their thoughts with me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

14. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'll start another one.