Heirloom ...

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Chris101, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That's what I call it. It's the picture that goes on the CD by local artist Melissa Null.
    [​IMG]

Please critique this image. Bear in mind that it is aimed toward a twenty-something, indie crowd.

Thanks! (PS, be brutal. This is the kind of stuff I'd like to start making a real living with in 5 years, 3 months and 7 days.)

Postprocessingly-wise, this is a major complexion job followed by a glam glow and local sharpening on the jewelry. Cropped round so the CD hole goes in the blank area of her neck, surrounded by the chain.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2005
  2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

There are 2 things about that make me wonder...
    1. The spindle hole in the neck, just what does that do to it? Maybe post one with the hole in place.
    I am not sure that will work the way you want the picture to look.

2. The hands at the bottom are bothersome to me, don't know why but they are.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Brutal, you say? Well, I don't like any tips/parts of the hands in the shot either. And, why no, or just partial eyes? The rest of it I like!

4. Chris... here's what I would do...
    Apply a little bit of make-up...

original.

...like it...???... :rolleyes:

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

That is something that I was thinking too.. :biggrin:

7. i am not crazy about the "frown" as it is the same line as the circle that cuts thru the eyes. If it were a neutral mouth or a smile it would not hang my eyes up. Did that makes sense??
    Dave

8. Chris, I like the concept here, but I agree with many of the other comments. The necklace is the central theme, but the hands at the bottom distract the eye. This model make not have been the best choice. Women want to be happy when they wear beautiful jewelry like this. Her frown and frumpy hairdo simply don't make a statement about the art.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

9. Chris:
    I think this is a good start but the finger tips and bottom of the glasses don't do anything for me.
    As a side note.....
    It would be interesting to try a torn paper edge or rocky coast edge on the crop instread of just the oval. I think you could bleed it back into the matt and it could be quit effective.
    Just my .02

As I wrote this I thought.... Hell Chris won't mind if I play....
    So here is a (very quick) "Play job".
    I call this a Rocky coast edge and It was "real fun" to make it go on the oval as I wrote it to go on things that were square or rectangular....
    Oh well at least it's something to think about.
    Cheers

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow Doug! I like that edge effect! It really does go with the picture, doncha think? The 'randomness' of the edge contrasts nicely with the regularity of the jewelery. Thanks for the cool idea!

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ya know - this is the artist, not a model. I had a model in mind, but when I mentioned the idea to her, Melissa acted as if she just didn't hear me.

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Perfect sense But, but, but ... Dave! The mouth makes the circle that the chain starts complete on the top! See those little smile lines at the corners of her mout? I think she IS smiling. Melissa's a VERY serious girl!

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh, you make-up guys!

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hmmm. I never do makeup. I mean I like it if girls I'm dating wear makeup, but to photograph? What a concept! :wink: Truthfully, I've never known Melissa to wear makeup, but she told me today that she would consider it for a future session.

Thanks for the bug in the ear.

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yeah Steve, but her neck gets a hole punched in it! Believe it or not, I put her fractional eyes and her finger tips in it on purpose. I wanted to give a sense of unease, of something being wrong. Well that and I just like being different. How do you like Doug's solution - to cover those intruding parts with special effects?

If I were redoing this with the same idea in mind, I would have gotten rid of the ring, and put some fake fingernails on her that were the same color as the stones in the neclace. Eyeglass frames too.

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The spindle hole fits exactly into the neclace. The hands , on the other hand are my own expression - call it an experiment if you will. 1) they balance her partial eyes and partial glasses. And 2) they put something at the bottom of the picture. There are gonna be words running down both sides, and with her glasses at the top, I wanted SOMETHING to fill the gap at the bottom. She's actually pulling down the neckline of her dress so the neclace doesn't lie on top of it.

I know it's bad of me and all, but I was wishing she would pull it down a bit more. :rolleyes: But then I never get involved with my models - I'm very business-like in the studio. And I never photograph women I'm involved with. They say "You made me look ... UGLY!"

(I hope Uncle Frank isn't reading this!)

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    THANK YOU ALL!!!

I know I was probably a bit flip in my individual answers, but together you have given me much to think about. And I will have a chance to use it. This photo has been sold as it is - and it will adorn a CD. But I am going to shoot a publicity set for Melissa - she said today (as I asked in response to some of the comments here) that she'd think about using makeup. And if she does, I promise I won't slice through her eyeball Andalousian Dog style.

Thanks again for your time to comment and especially those who were especially pointed. I appreciate your candor!

18. Chris, I love your stuff. This piece reminds me of your avatars... edgy and creative. The fact that the <cough> older crowd is disturbed by it probably means it's a bullseye for the targetaudience :wink:. Hey, what's to critique? You've already sold it! Congratulations, dude!

[​IMG]

19. Chris, I think you were on the right track with this. I looked at this for a while trying to visualize that center hole cut out, and thought that several of the concerns people have raised here were offset or mitigated with that in place.

The one that I can't get past, though, is Melissa's eyes. Including them, even partially, draws the viewer's eye away from the intended subject. I think it's just the natural tendency to look for the eyes in a portrait. And while you succeeded in creating tension by cutting through them, I still think they take away from the necklace a bit too much.

I like most everything else about the pic, including the "white space" you saved for the inevitable text that will have to be printed the CD.

Nice job!