Helicopters!!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by xrdbear, Apr 28, 2007.

1. May or may not be OT.

The helicopter in the images below came over my land just to one side of the house and at the same height as the rooftop. All my animals were terrified.
    It just cleared the power lines and landed in a field opposite the Ullinish Lodge Hotel at the top of my access track only 25ft from the public road and less than 150 feet from the hotel.

The passengers appear to be staying at the hotel and the copter is there for the night. The woman in the 100% crop at the bottom was a passenger. Anyone recognise her? She seems to be trying to hide her identity (70-200 VR at 200mm) as the walked past the end of my land.

As far as I can read in the CAA rules of the air they have broken the rules on low flying and proximity to building, people and vehicles. Does anyone know if I am reading it right? I'm thinking of making a complaint to the CAA on Monday to try and make sure this doesn't become a habit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice images.

I don't recognize her.
    I would call CAA and find out

3. I will on Monday. I already left a message on their voicemail.

I also discovered that airport-data.com didn't have a shot of this aircraft. They do now:Devil:

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/080101.html

Here is another more aethetic shot

[​IMG]

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    What is impressive is the beautiful landscape:)))

Nice image, well done

5. cupowater

cupowater Guest

if you're looking for the type of helicopter its a Bell 206 Jet Ranger..

heres a cool little helicopter shot that a friend of mine took of me.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2007
  6. Stephen Fox

Stephen Fox Guest

I understand helicopters are exempt of the CAA low fly rules, it seems those guys can do anything they want!

No CAA low fly rules broken from what I can see.

7. cupowater

cupowater Guest

i am not sure what the rules are there but in America as long as its not private property and you aren't endangering anyone you can land wherever... an open field is the best place to land... no low level rules though

8. Yes after studying the rules of the air it seems they almost *can* do anything they want. Normally there is a 500ft rule meaning they cannot fly within 500ft of any structure, person or vehicle. However they are exempt from this when taking off and landing. I guess the question is how far from the landing site can you be considered to be landing?

Anyway this is a bit OT for the forum. Hope you enjoyed the pictures. I was ready and waiting with the camera as he took off to see if I could get some rivet counter pictures as it came over. Fortunately he took the clear path to exit which he should have taken when he arrived.

The helicopter turns out to belong to George Tracey, an Irish businessman who runs a motorsport team in his spare time.

9. Foot note: I think you mean a Bell 206. Here's a link to the Bell 207. BTW...that's a cool pic that your friend made. (Flying an R-22?)

10. cupowater

cupowater Guest

haha ya sorry... and ya thats in a R22... do you fly also?

11. Haven't had the time for a while...but I fly C-172's. Maybe one day I'll give the whirly birds a try!:biggrin:

12. cupowater

cupowater Guest

you should, its so amazing... its been a dream of mine to fly helicopters since i have been about 4 and i just decided to get it together and started flying about a year and a half ago, i just turned 20. Hopefully i'll have many more years of flying infront of me.