Hellcat?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by kgilby, Jul 7, 2008.

1. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    We spent the weekend in SW Michigan and went to a pancake breakfast Sunday at a local grass-field airport where there was a fly-in. I'm pretty sure this is a Hellcat, 1 of 3 that flew in for the day.

2. Looks more like a trainer, perhaps a Texan or the like.

Nice sharp capture!

3. Looks like a T6-Texan to me.

4. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks for ID, and a couple more images

Thanks for the fast ID. Here's another shot of the same plane, and another unidentified plane.

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    89 is an SNJ, Navy version of the AT-6 trainer. You can usually see the model on the tail fin or rudder for USA military A/C. 421 appears to be a Harvard, which is what the Canadian version of the AT-6 was called.

6. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks for the ID, Baywing. It was an interesting group of planes, most of which I saw in the air as they left, before we got there. I'll have to get there earlier next year to get some close-ups, and will bring along the 300 f4, too.

Here's a crop taken with the 17-55:

7. Hate to rain on Baywing's parade, but the #89 isn't an SNJ... It is a SNV, which is the Naval version of the Vultee BT-13/15 Valiant primary trainer of WWII.
    421 is indeed SOME kind of T-6/SNJ/Harvard variant.

8. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Yep, missed the short, stubby fuse.

9. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks for the clarification scooter22. Three of these flew in formation over the house on their way in that morning, flying quite low as we were less than a mile from the airfield.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.