Hello Flickr - bye, bye Pbase.

Just wanted to share what I have found to be a much better service than pbase. I'm not affiliated with this site at all, I'm just impressed with it's features.

The free account is better than the pbase PAID account (storage allowance, sorting/categorizing capabilities, etc.). And the flickr paid account is a real bargain for not just sharing but archiving images. It includes UNLIMITED storage and 2GB per month upload. I plan to store my favorite images just in case I suffer some catastrophic data loss accross all my back-up media (not likely but why not protect your stuff anyway). Here's what the basic home page looks like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95826190@N00/

Hummmmm thanks for the infl.

I did an entire back up of all my pics to a paid account webshots, a few years ago. thinking if i had a crash, I would still have my pics. Well one day Idecided to back them all down to the hard drive from there. All were renumbered, no names and resized small.

Wow Was I disappointed.

Hummmmmmmmm

Navigation and layout seems a bit clunky to me, but maybe it's just not what I'm used to. There doesn't to be any way to tell it I want to always view the original/larger image size, having to click the "different sizes" link seems like it would get annoying. Is there any support for having the site automatically extract embedded EXIF for display?

I only spent a few minutes there but my initial impression is that this site seems geared more towards snapshooters wanting to share pics with friends and family than it is for photo enthusiasts. Also the advertising may be kept to a minimum but it's still there.

JAM

Gale said:

I did an entire back up of all my pics to a paid account webshots, a few years ago. thinking if i had a crash, I would still have my pics. Well one day Idecided to back them all down to the hard drive from there. All were renumbered, no names and resized small.

Wow Was I disappointed.

Hummmmmmmmm

USB or FireWire Hard drives are so reasonably inexpensive these days, that I just buy two, label them 'A' and 'B' and then rotate them for backups. A decent backup program will verify all the files before it finishes, so you have some assurance that you'll get what you saved. Ideally the drives should be stored off site. If the images are that important, financially and/or emotionally, you can probably get a safety deposit box at your bank for something like $25.00 a year that will easily hold two plug-in drives.

Just a thought.

gho

Yeah, they all start out that way, then the provider realizes the bandwith images, and hotlinking requires along with the cost of storage, and they start imposing restrictions.

pbase actually started out free too way back when... Oh well, maybe this site will be different.

spanishbayonet said:
Joe Does P Base have the advertising on the page also? CS Dayan

No, pbase has no ads. I'm just getting weary of pbase having problems almost every week. The last few times I addes shots to pbase to post here I got the dreaded red x. Not acceptable for a fee based solution. I do have a website which I'm working on but for quick posting and sharing I'll use flickr instead of pbase.

gho said:
Yeah, they all start out that way, then the provider realizes the bandwith images, and hotlinking requires along with the cost of storage, and they start imposing restrictions.

pbase actually started out free too way back when... Oh well, maybe this site will be different.

Greg, ordinarily I would agree exept Flickr is a Yahoo company so I have far greater faith that Yahoo has a better strategy and understanding of usage data than Pbase.

JeffKohn said:
Navigation and layout seems a bit clunky to me, but maybe it's just not what I'm used to. There doesn't to be any way to tell it I want to always view the original/larger image size, having to click the "different sizes" link seems like it would get annoying. Is there any support for having the site automatically extract embedded EXIF for display?

I only spent a few minutes there but my initial impression is that this site seems geared more towards snapshooters wanting to share pics with friends and family than it is for photo enthusiasts. Also the advertising may be kept to a minimum but it's still there.

All fair points Jeff. I guess my main use of pbase is for linking shots here and at other forums. I just want reliability and pbase fails in that category.

J

jkamphof

Mmmm, honestly I don't like the layout much it seems a bit like my old Geocities account, to much advertising getting in the way of the eyes. Sounds good however for a free site.

I plan on sticking with Pbase, personally I like them, I've had little problems aside from the server issues last winter and that got cleaned up in a reasonable amount of time.

Joel.

M

marcus

thx for sharing. I was looking for a free site to upload my picture.

Well, I created an account and was playing around.

It is a Yahoo Site so the free account does have some advertising -BLAH! But what do expect for free?

You can get to the EXIF data although. Did not see it a first but click on a pic and then properties and EXIF data is there.

I just uploaded just a few pics (I got the slow connection blues) anyway, if you do not have a place for your pics it seems reasonable.

Here is my little spot on their site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/photobymark

If nothing else, if you need a little storage for some pics so that you can post on this most excellent site then it is very good. :lol:

K

kcphotos

Ken-L said:
I have also been playing with this for a few days. I'm also using another free one, rootminus1.

Thanks for the info, Ken ... I'm checking out rootminus1 as well.

Gale said:

Wow Was I disappointed.

Hummmmmmmmm

Geeze, Gale. Sorry to hear that. I love Webshots for my desktop, but since they introduced their deluxe downloading service, the quality of free downloadable pictures has deteriorated. I was wondering about using them for a host service since I need one, but guess that's not such a good idea.

Latest threads

Top Bottom