Hello from Utah!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TOLady, May 16, 2007.

1. Last minute trip traveling around the State. Just landed at SLC, heading towards Zion NP, then onwards to Glen Canyon, and then the Arches. Have until Saturday so there's plenty of time. The weather is superb - the sun is gloriously shining, I have a tripod, the 12-24 and the 17-55 and ready to grab some glorious shots. Thanks to PJohnP on the lens help for this trip. Yup, threw the 70-200VR in there just in case but that bag sure got heaving lugging it around airports! :biggrin:

Can't edit on the road but will post some hopefully great shots when I land back in good ol' TO.

From what I can see here at 8AM, it's fantastic country.:smile: I'm really looking forward to this trip!

2. Lucky you. Best of luck for a trip with lots of beautiful shots.

3. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Enjoy, and try not to melt in the sweltering heat.

4. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    Just there a couple of weeks ago. Watch for the wild turkeys, they were everywhere and very photogenic. You can get pretty close to them.

If you have the choice on the way to Glen Canyon/Page, Az, I suggest US 89 Alt. Both diverge in Kanab, Ut. Its a few more miles, but so much prettier. The Vermillion Cliffs and forest. But if you love the desert, US 89 is a bit shorter and takes you right over the dam. The "Horseshoes" are just south of Page.

It should be beautiful weather, enjoy.

5. Have a great time Sandi! That part of the state is gorgeous. Hope you can get to gether with Gordon (Greyflash) when you're in Zion. He's a great guy.

If you have some time the mountains around SLC are beautiful as well. Wish I had known you were coming, it would've been nice to meet you.

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Sandi :

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima maxima culpa ! :wink:

Next time that I'm in Toronto, I'll carry your bags for you. :biggrin:

But I do think having the telephoto with you will prove useful, especially for that across the abyss shot of Delicate Arch, or a couple of other locations.

Have fun, young lady.

John P.

7. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Sandi,
    Have a great time. I'm looking forward to seeing your shots. I think you're going to use that 70-200 more than you think. Some of the formations are so enormous, you can't do them justice unless you get a little distance from them.
    Good shooting.
    Mike

8. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Sandi, where the heck are you off to this time? I thought you were down in Central America somewhere, but you're driving around in Utah. :rolleyes: 
    Jarrell

9. Sandi, you're in for a treat, and I do envy you.

The last time I was there it was still in the bad 'ol film days, and I had relegated all the photography to my wife!

Have a great time.

10. Well, I shot 1,302 pics yesterday ( a LOT of panos in there), did Zion NP in the a.m. (Red Canyon as well) and then got over to Bryce and it's jaw-dropping gorgeous! Did sunset at Bryce Ampitheatre at Bryce Point - and then did the last few hours at, of course!, Sunset Point. Doing more of Bryce Canyon today and then heading back up to SLC - probably get in very late. Tomorrow will be spent working my way home through the airport systems - oh joy!

Jarrell, that was the plan on Monday but it got changed rather quickly due to unforseen circumstances. Decision-making brought me to Utah and I'm so glad it did - phenomenal countryside. The sun on the red rocks is even better in person.... Listened to the coyotes calling last night, billions of stars out here (don't forget I'm in the city = no stars) and I'm sitting watching the hares running through the underbrush this morning.

Good news is that I think I lost 10 lbs yesterday from all the hiking! Good shoes and lots of enthusiasm helps.

Pa, you just HAVE to do the trip again and shoot it as well.

John, the 12-24 and the 17-55 are getting a great workout. The 12-24 on the Fuji survived a backside gravel-slide down a hill yesterday and so did I! There might even be a picture of it somewhere. :biggrin:

Arches NP is being sidetracked this trip - just not enough time and can do it next time around. Don't want to just spend our time racing, but rather getting great shots of the places we're visiting. Weather is co-operating perfectly, couldn't ask for better.

Will post a bunch after I get home and get some editing done. I can see a whole wall at home being devoted to this, and of course, a photobook is in order. Cheers, folks, no wonder so many of you want to live in this part of the country - breathtaking!

11. Hi Sandi, just noticed this thread. Sounds like you had a great time. It was sort of hot while you were here but that goes with the territory. I too love this part of our country and that is one of the reasons that I settled in St. George. I am just 45 minutes away from Zion N.P.

Looking forward to your pictures of the trip.

12. Very much looking forward to your images from this adventure Sandi!

13. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Kinko that. :biggrin:

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    YOU GO GIRL:>)))))))))))))))))))))))))
    Sure as hell wish I was with ya

15. DoorMan

DoorMan Guest

Take a lot of photos Sandi. I am looking forward to seeing some of them. That is a beautiful area.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.