Help #1 or #2

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by mrtac2man, Oct 22, 2005.

1. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    Like them both.. but which is better for a wall hanger???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks
    Tim

2. I think #1 is better the lighter colors would seem to work better as a wall hanger.

3. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    Thanks.. #2 is as taken.. #1 is played with... did I go to far????

Tim

4. i think you pulled it off. It works for me.

5. You went too far and the colors are washed out on #1. It is a nice picture but not worthy of hanging on a wall IMHO. The image has halo's around the trees where you burned in the lake and the blue is not natural in the sky. I know that you can do better, keep trying. I hope you don't mind my honest opinion.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful image and view.
    Colors seem a bit off to me as well in the cyan.
    Did you try shadow/highlights in PS (if you have it, that is) Adjust tonal ranges and color in there.

Worthy of wall hanger with a tad clean up. :>)))

7. Hello there. Neither version is compelling in my opinion. The reason is quite simple; the light isn't great. Taken at either early morning or towards sunset would have yielded better colors. Having the haze not there would also help...not something you can help obviously, but get up really early one morning or go out in the evening and re-shoot! I bet you'll be a lot happier with better light.

8. I agree with Gordon and Justin and would add that I find the subject matter lacking. What I see is a "V" and little more. There is nothing that captures my attention. If your composition were off center (cropped to that effect), you might achieve more interest. Try again and expose for the foreground or do multiple exposures and see if you can bring out more detail.

Please don't take my comment personally for that is not their intent. It's about helping us learn how to improve what we love.

Thanks,
    Virginia
    aka beaucamera

9. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    Thank you all for your ideas.. this was a hard shot to get.. Think this one is getting there... any one want a try let me know.. have Raw file or tiff file to work on...[​IMG]

Thanks Tim

10. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    ok last one.. this is a crop.. is this any better???

[​IMG]

11. i still prefer the wide angle view, cropping takes away from the picture i think.

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    For a crop I would only try a crop on the left to the tree. But actually I love the view. Just need some enhancement thats all.

Wish I had some time to play with it.
    I think it is a great image.

PS wait til Ray gets back from vacation he will fix it up for you :>)))))))
    He loves those landscapes.

Did you see his pics.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2005
  13. Two New Views

Tim was kind enough to send me his RAW file of this image so I reprocessed it in two ways, neither with a crop so it would be easier to compare the results. The first image is Tim's original. The second image was adjusted in PSCS2 with LAB enhancements and some sharpening. I also removed some extraneous clouds and the roadway. The third image adds painting with light. (Since Ray got me turned on to this, I was anxious to give it another try.) Thanks for letting me give this a try, Tim!

What do you think of the result?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

[​IMG]

14. I think you're moving in the right direction, Virginia. In the third image you've missed the tops of the trees which has a negative impact on the image.

Overall I think you've confronted the biggest problem with this image, and that is, it's lack of color.

15. That view is breath taking. To me it screams split ND filter and take the picture at another time of the day.

16. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    It would be a good image to play with in LAB. :wink:

17. The crop you did is better. The composition now is more appealing to the eye (at least to mine). The colors are a bit still dull, but you are on the right direction.

Gil

18. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Tim,

Can you get me the raw file and I will give it a shot.

The raw file will be too big to e-mail, so I created a folder on my companies FTP site for you to drop it in: ftp://ftp.genesisgroup.com/incoming/joem

19. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Tim, I like your second go at it much more. The first picture was overdone with the colors, IMHO. Regarding your crop, I would prefer to crop just a little from the left to move the tall tree towards the left border.

Although I usually like strong colors, I kind of like the subtle contrasts in the picture. I'm not very good at PS, but I was able to add some nice pep to pictures using NC. One nice feature in NC is using the LCH controls and enhance some specific colors under the Chroma option. Also, sometimes NC's Photo features with enhanced dark areas comes in handy. If you pull up contrast and reduce lightness, you may also get enhanced colors (sky, etc.). You may also try and give it a warmer WB.

20. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    Joe you should have the raw file.. please let me know if you got it ok.....

Thanks for your help

Tim