Help a newb with some lense choices?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by dx379, Jul 14, 2008.

1. dx379

dx379

Jul 9, 2008
    Tulsa, OK
    Guys/Girls,

I recently purchase a new D300 that came with the following new lenses :

Nikon AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR DX Lens
    and a
    Nikon 18-55mm AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens.

I am still somewhat new to photography and trying to learn more about "glass." On another forum I was told my camera setup is like driving a Ferrari with 14" wheels :eek: 

Do you think this is a fair assumption?

Would you, in your personal opinion, suggest selling these 2 "new" lenses and picking up something else to replace them?

I plan on shooting portraits for the most part if that helps. I would prefer not to spend anymore money as I already went way over my budget! So if I were to replace the lenses above, I would only have available to spend what I could sell the lenses I already have for.

Thank you for your time. Regards,

Jonny

2. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Those two lenses are quite sharp. I wouldn't let that other forum bother you. Stick with them until you find a need to change. You'd have to spend a ton of money to improve very little in resolution. What you'd be paying for is a little faster speed. Be proud of what you have for now.

3. dx379

dx379

Jul 9, 2008
    Tulsa, OK
    Your response is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I will take your advice and enjoy what I have. However, if I was to add a 3rd lens for portraits in the future- which would you recommend (<$600).

Regards,
    Jonny

4. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    You wouldn't get enough for just those two lenses to really move up the scale I don't think. I'd shoot them and learn and be putting money away in a lens fund till you can really upgrade.

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    If you are new to photography, stick with what you have until you encounter the limitations of your current gear. That could be a while :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.