Help: best approach to a large scale B/W print off a D70

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by heiko, Jun 10, 2005.

1. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    I need your help!

I posted under General discussion a question regarding large scale print of D70 b/w picture:

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?p=50764#50764 just for reference.

I am to produce a 40x60" b/w print from a Jazz performance at a dimly lit pub. Now there are a lot of questions on how to go about:

1. Shooting: are there any recommendations to get best b/w results on a D70 when shooting in incandescent light under very dim conditions.
    At that locations, I am shooting at f1.4 or f1.8 at ISO 1600 and shutter speed of 1/10-1/40. My W/B is set to "sunny", as I'm W/B the shots in NC afterwards.
    Should I use W/B "incandescent" during the shooting to better estimate the histogram (does it have an impact on histograms?)? Or, since my output will be b/w, is it better to keep it at sunny to get a better idea of the total light available (mainly yellow).

2. Noise removal: I'm using NeatImage to get rid of the noise, but discovered that I need to tweak the settings to remove unwanted artifacts. Any ideas on how to best use this tool for b/w output?

3. What is the best workflow? I have several options to go about:

a. Adjust curves etc. in NC, then convert to b/w and output to tif for further processing in NeatImage and PSCS.

b. Use NC to convert to tif (no adjustments or only minor levels adjustments), the NeatImage the color output and afterwards convert it into b/w using PSCS and further process.

c. Do the whole post-processing in color - including all steps under b. - adjust individual color channels in PSCS and then convert to b/w at the very end (perhaps just doing some minor processing on the b/w afterwards).

Any ideas to get best results are welcome.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017