help! can't view file size in vista explorer window

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by fks, Aug 4, 2008.

1. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    i can't select Size as one of the details to display in an explorer window. running vista home premium SP1. this happened some time last week, but i'm not sure what change or update caused this to happen. i've tried resetting the defaults (tools->folder options->restore defaults) but this hasn't fixed the problem.

any suggestions? TIA.

ricky

2. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    In the explorer window right click on the bar where "Size" should be. You should get a check list with all of the available options.

3. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi gene-

tried that first. there's "Shared with" followed by "Slides." "Size" is missing :confused:  no "File size" ("File description" followed by "File version") or "Total size" either.

ricky

4. Do you see the "more..." option?

5. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi jimmy-

yes, and i can't find anything related to file size in the lengthy list (see what i've found in my previous post).

this is driving me crazy as "File size" seems to have completely disappeared. i can't find anything on microsoft's KB page. worst case is to re-load vista, but....ugh!

ricky

6. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi jimmy-

downloaded the file and tried it, no change. edited the registry, still no change. i copied the same section from my laptop, but it hasn't changed.

it's really weird, Size is not an option at all

original.

original.

argh, this is driving me crazy. but thanks to everyone who's provided suggestions.

ricky

7. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    What is FreeAgent? Can you see "Size" on other drives?

8. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi gene-

that's one of my external seagate drives. the only folder that has anything remotely like "Size" is My Computer, which has a "Total Size" field. all the other folders that i've opened don't have "Size."

ricky

9. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    What is that "#" represent? Did you try to check it?

10. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi william-

good question; i'm assuming it's for MP3's or something similar that has a sequential number (eg track number). i'll try checking it when i get home tonight, thanks for the suggestion.

ricky

11. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi william-

it's as i thought, nothing shows up with # checked unless i'm looking at MP3's ripped from a CD, then i get the track number.

ricky

12. This is very disconcerting. I have resisted Vista assuming there were probably still some bugs to work out, and now I am even more convinced.

Do you have SP1 installed?

13. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi jim-

so far the problem is with my desktop only; my laptop is fine, and both are running vista home premium. i wouldn't give up on vista yet :smile:

i have SP1 installed. one problem is i don't know if any of the other updates that vista installed caused the problem, and i don't remember when it happened, so i can't go back and undo the installs. i might have to try undoing the updates one by one, before i consider re-installing vista.

ricky

14. system restore an option?

15. System restore? :eek:  Surely nothing as drastic as that should be necessary! What has Microsoft come to?!

16. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi jimmy-

second to last option (last being system re-install). it's better than re-install for sure. i'll give it a try this weekend when i have more time.

ricky

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.