Help choosing a prime.

Hello everyone,

I am trying to choose between either a 25mm, 35mm or 50mm primes. I will be using this as general all purpose lens on a D200. I am leaning towards the 35mm but am also considering the 50mm (50mm is also a macro lens). As a general lens on a crop body what focal length do you feel is more useful?

Thanks,

Dave

IMHO you can't go wrong with the Nikkor 35mm f/2 lens. Great little lens!

Thanks for the response Connie.

I have actually been considering one of the new Zeiss MF lenses. I am on the fence now between the 35/2 or 50/2 Makro-Planar.

Hello everyone,

I am trying to choose between either a 25mm, 35mm or 50mm primes. I will be using this as general all purpose lens on a D200. I am leaning towards the 35mm but am also considering the 50mm (50mm is also a macro lens). As a general lens on a crop body what focal length do you feel is more useful?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,
I would go with the 35mm/F2. Haven't used it, but if you can, just take a look at some of the photos that Edward Neal & Nuteshack post that have been taken with this lens.

Talk about creating lens lust!!:biggrin:

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
The ZF lenses are good, but a bit expensive. If you like 35mm MF, consider the 35/1.4 AIS.

Dave,
I would go with the 35mm/F2. Haven't used it, but if you can, just take a look at some of the photos that Edward Neal & Nuteshack post that have been taken with this lens.

Talk about creating lens lust!!:biggrin:

Do you happen to have a link to these posts?

The ZF lenses are good, but a bit expensive. If you like 35mm MF, consider the 35/1.4 AIS.

I agree that they are expensive. Mentally, I have already committed myself, so I am not as concerned with the $$$ anymore.

I have been pretty good so far controlling my lens lust, so I figure that I might as well splurge a little bit.

On DSLR, what range do you find more useful, 35mm or 50mm?

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Dave, depending on what you shoot. For me, I found the 35mm more useful in DSLR.

Another option is the Sigma 30/1.4. I went with that and a 50/1.4 and like them both. The 30 is great for avaialble light interiors, museums, etc. and the 50 is great for all purpose. I use it for people pics, the aquarium and other times I need a bit more length.

Ciao Dave

As others suggested, I guess for a walkaround lens you should have something in the range between 28 and 35mm. A 50mm becomes useful if you have to manage whole figure portraits in low light at about 5-6 meters from you.
For what I know, both the Nikon 35 F2 and the Sigma 30 F1.4 are well known and appreciated here, they are light, plenty of light (sorry for the wordplay) and give really good results. In my very personal opinion (but it's MY taste) I'm waiting for a better 28mm, because I like a slightly wider angle of view. Affording the 28 F1.4 is actually extremely hard (both for price and physical availability) so I'll wait to see if something new comes in the next months. Otherwise, my choice (just for focal lenght, NOT for optical qualities) would go to the Sigma 28 F1.8 EX DG.

N

Nuteshack

well if $ isn't a prob i think Phil's suggestion of the the 35/1.4 AIS is the way to go...i have no experience with it (i shoot the 35f2 and love it) but from what i've seen it's woefully awesome!

good luck
;-)

Latest threads

Top Bottom