1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Help color is off on my computer

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by TheHundreds, Aug 15, 2009.

1. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    i got a new computer it's a dell monitor 19inch 1905fp
    my old computer was a dell dimension 4550.
    my new one now is the dell e510.
    here's a picture of it on my desktop:
    wetwa.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and here's a picture of it on ps:
    dsaewar.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

They have different coloring, someone help me.

2. That's not unusual. Can you tell us how your monitor is calibrated?

3. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    everything is on default, do you not notice the orange tint?

4. No, I mean it's not unusual for colour to be different between Photoshop and other viewers.

Judging by your answer, it seems that your monitor isn't calibrated at all. You need to do so with a hardware device - the most commonly used is the Spyder brand.

Until your monitor is calibrated, you have no way of knowing what the correct colour is.

5. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    is there another way so i don't have to spend money just to set my coloring on my computer?

6. No, sorry.

7. web52

web52

May 9, 2008
    houston tx
    Photoshop might be "assigning" one color space while the Windows viewer is "assuming" sRGB.
    Under Edit dropdown menu, near the bottom, examine what is marked in "Assign Profile". Assign it to sRGB and you might see the other colors show up. Play with assigning it to other profiles and see what happens to the colors.

8. mvnsnd

mvnsnd

Jul 12, 2008
    Western NY
    Agreed, you should look at the same image under the same software. Does each machine use the same OS? You may have hardware color profiles assigned automatically in newer OS's, ie Vista may recognize your monitor and use a color profile, while XP may not use the profile.

9. Don't we all wish!!!!!! Unfortunately there's no way out of paying a ton of money. I don't have one, but they tell me once you bite the bullet and buy a Spyder then you can calibrate every 3 or 4 months and things will always be they way they should. Your monitor will change color all the time. Guess they all do. I've never calibrated and must not have a very good eye because it all looks good to me! :biggrin:

10. Don't really have to spend a lot of $$ ... the Spyder 2 Express is a pretty inexpensive tool for getting your monitor calibration right. I put off getting one for a long time, but when I finally got the Spyder I ended up getting prints that now looked like what I was seeing on the monitor. As Chris mentioned he has not calibrated and feels his is fine - I know some people are lucky like this (and make me jealous BTW) but most of us are not so lucky and do need to do some calibration - not just once, but on a somewhat regular basis. I mention the Spyder 2 express because it is what I have experience with, I'm sure the more costly calibration tools have their advantages but for the budget minded (like me) the Spyder 2 expresss is a handy tool to have around and use it regularly. Here's a link to B&H as proof that it is affordable http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Spyder+2+express&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Hope this is of some help, Mike

11. Thanks for the link, Mike. I honestly thought it was about 3 times that cost. Maybe a Spyder is in my future, huh?

12. Mike66

Mike66

Aug 21, 2009
    Darmstadt, Germany
    Mike
    I'm considering Spyder2express for my PC and laptop, but at the risk of sounding naive, what good does it do to calibrate my monitor when others viewing my photos will have uncalibrated monitors?

13. Good question Mike66 :wink:
    At least you will know that the image you have presented will be as you intended it to look, if they are into digital imaging they likely will also have a calibrated monitor as well and should be viewing a proper repensation of your image, if they are not discerning enough about images on their monitor they likely would never notice if things were not quite right. I mainly calibrated mine to get the best results from my prints along with proper printer profiles and paying closer attention to details in post processing ... I'm still learning, with help from reading what others here on the forums have to say. :confused: 

Mike

14. Mike66

Mike66

Aug 21, 2009
    Darmstadt, Germany
    Mike
    Good points, Mike. I just bought Spyder2express using the link you provided. I also see that Datacolor also has a printer calibration package for $280 and a bundled color management system for $420.

I am still researching a printer for home, so I will not need the printer calibration package.

Mike

15. Glad the link was good for some info for you and Mike66 - keep in mind this is the entry level Spyder, but, has worked well for me.

Gee if B&H would pay me a commission I'd be closer to that next lens (or lens pen) LOL

Mike

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.