Help comparing "crappy lenses"

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Matt S, Jun 4, 2005.

1. You folks around here tend to lust well beyond what I can even imagine. I had to have a son in order to justify the purchase of my D70. That said I need some help. I currently have the kit lens (18-70, 3.5-4.5G ED) and the Tamron 70-300 LD 4-5.6 My question is this. I am considering the Tamron 28-300 as a walk around (fishing) lens and wonder what sharpness I am going to give up on the long end compared to the 70-300 I have now. I am well aware that the kit lens is superior in it's focal range but the 28-300 would eliminate switching lenses on those rare occations that I catch a fish and want my buddy to take a picture. Currently I leave the longer lens on for those times that wildlife pops out of the brush for a quick hello. Any help would be apprieciated. Oh yeah, no need to recomend those "mythical" lens like with fancy VR's in their name. I dream about them, but then I also dream about having an airplane, riverboat, sailboat......etc.

So what do you think replace the 70-300 with 28-300 or not?
    I will be keeping the kit lens either way.

2. If you keep the kit lens, then 70-300 completes your kit perfectly (xx-70->70-xx)

However, I also would recomment the 28-200mm lens. You simply won't have to ever take it off your camera. And they say it's darn good too! :D

3. I agree that my current set up with kit and 70-300 works very well. I don't mind switching lenses for my more serious photography and would still do so, but thought it would be nice not to have to switch lenses for basic snapshot photos. So what I am really asking is this. Is their a difference in the performance of the 28-300 compared to the 70-300 at the 300mm end of the lenses?

I too have heard great things about the 28-200, however I often encounter eagles, bears, etc. while fishing and the extra reach of a 300mm sure helps. thanks for the responce.

4. Have you looked at the Nikon 70-210? Not the fastest lens f/4-5.6..but very very sharp.

5. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I have the Nikon 28-200 and like it. Very nice - very small. But now I have the 24-120VR which I LOVE, so I'm considering something longer than the 200 also, maybe 100-300. But, if I don't get a longer lens (I don't want any large, long, heavy lenses) I will stay with the 28-200. One "rationale" for keeping both is that they are both great walk-around lenses. What I love about the VR is that it takes so much LESS effort to get a sharp (no camera shake) shot.

6. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Matt, I have the Tamron 28-300 Di version that I use on my D2h. It is very convenient to use in crowded situations where you don't want to be changing lenses or if you don't want to be carrying around a lot of weight. Optically I think it is superior to the Tamron 70-300, but I wouldn't say it is as good as the Nikkor 18-70. I am very pleased with it. I took a bunch of photos with it yesterday at a minor league baseball game. I will post some samples when I get a chance.

7. Matt,

No sure if this will help or hurt :wink: but, I had the 70-300 and sold it. I just didn't like the overall quality. I recently switched to the Tamron 18-200 as my walk-around and am quite pleased with it. I find it fits my needs quite well. I tend to need WA more then TELE, so the 18-28 range is better for me then the 200-300. I don't know about the current 28-300 but an older version got very soft in the 200-300 range.

Good luck in you choice.

8. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    Had both Nikon 28-200 versions: D and G , both great, but G has better close-focusing distance (almost macro range). Also IMHO G has better color rendition (but more plastic-built).
    HTH.

9. Honestly I'd stick with the kit lens for fishing.

10. thanks everone. I will have to think and ponder some more about this. To Dave, I look forward to seeing those photos. --Matt

11. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    Matt: Is your 70-300 the ED version. Big difference in quality.