Help cure my LL

Z

ZBaum

Now that I sold off my Sigma 70-200, I have about $500 to work with to buy a lens or two with. I'm thinking of two possible scenarios, which would give me two very different lens setups:

1. 85mm f/1.8 & 50mm f/1.8 (both new)
2. 180mm f/2.8 (used)

After having some bad luck with my used 70-200, I'm leaning towards the first option. However, if I get the 180 from either KEH or B&H, I wouldn't have any trouble returning it. Right now, I have f/2.8 lenses, so the two f/1.8 lenses would give me a nice boost in speed. My main uses are going to be indoor events, sports (both indoor & outdoor), and any other random things I take photos of for myself. I've seen great shots from all of these lenses, and don't think I'll go wrong either way, but I kind of feel like the two lens setup will give me more versatility, and will help me indoors when I can't use a flash. Any thoughts?

Zach,

The short answer is get the 3 of them ! Having owned both the 85 and the 180, I'd say it revolves on two things. 1- What lenses you currently own and 2- how far or near you are from the action.

If you currently own a short zoom like a 18-70, I'd be tempted to go to the 180. This will give you more reach.

If you can be really near of the action and you shoot in darker venues, the 85 will definitely be helpful and the 50 will provide with relatively wider shots also.

Z

ZBaum

Whoops, forgot to list my current lineup:

Tokina 28-70 f/2.8 (can't use at f/2.8 usually, since it's pretty soft wide open)
Sigma 50 f/2.8 macro
*Nikon 80-200 f/2.8
*Nikon 300 f/2.8

(*) - I have access to these lenses, but they aren't always available to me.

As far as range: I can stand courtside/rinkside/fieldside at any sporting event, so a shorter lens like the 50mm might actually be preferable for something like basketball. I think that while I'm here at school, I'd be more likely to use a long lens, but I also have access to good quality long lenses while I am here. When I'm at home, I usually tend to shoot street scenes, landscapes, portraits, etc. Ultimately, I'd love to have all three, but they wouldn't all fit into my budget.

Zach,

Judging by what you want and what you have and how your said you will be using them, sell your tokina and sigma and get all three nikons that you are wanting.

Good luck,

George.

Latest posts

Top Bottom