1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Help! Curls causing shadows!!

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by rocketliv, Sep 27, 2008.

1. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

What should I do!? I am using an SB600 through an umbrella. I tried it on the right and on the left at 45 degree angles. I moved her forward and backward from the backdrop as well. I took the photo from all angles and no matter what I did, her curls still made shadows. The flash on my camera is also going off.

DSC_0003-1.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for any tips and advice!! I have found a lot of great info via the links provided and threads here but just can't get rid of the shadow!

2. TeknoSmurf

TeknoSmurf

Sep 25, 2008
    NE PA
    If looks like your subject may be too close to the backdrop. Move the subject around 6 or so feet in front of the backdrop.

3. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

Thanks, as I said, I did that. I moved her around forward and backward and no matter what she and my husband (his ears) still have shadows.

4. The flash was above the subject, but based on the shadows and the catchlight, it was not 45 degrees off to the side. If it had been, the shadows would have only appeared at one side of her head. Move the flash off to the side Then move the subject further away from the backdrop and move the umbrella closer to the subject. The reduced DOF of the flash will reduce any remaining shadows.

103696286.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Edit: On reflection, there's another possibility. If you were using your popup flash to control the remote, and if you left it at a high power setting, it may have caused the shadows. Put the popup flash into the "--" mode and it may solve your problem!

5. I was just about to say the same thing. This shadow come from a light source located directly over the lens. Try to turn the popup flash off to see if that rids you of that nasty shadow.

6. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

I will do that now!! I just figured out in another thread that you could turn it off!!! Love this place!!! Thanks gentlemen!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.