Help, emergency.. need assistance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Sherman, May 1, 2005.

1. Hi all,
    I have been touring Vancouver and now Victoria BC. I will be here until Wednesday afternoon. I brought my brand new D2x and a wide variety of lenses which I picked up in part for this trip. So far so good.

I was walking about on Saturday night through the streets of Vancouver and unbeknownst to me, my diopter eyepiece fell out of the rear viewfinder eyepiece holder hole. It was probably my fault as I changed it from the stock one to a -3 prescription diopter. I can only guess that it was not lodged in properly and somehow got caught on my jacket and dislodged. I only noticed it when I got back to the hotel later that evening. I can close the metal aperture blades to protect the inner section. I am afraid to use it for fear of getting dirt inside where I can not get it out without sending the whole camera back to Nikon.

Two questions, First, does the rear diopter glass protect the camera from debris and dust that is flying about and if I use the camera without the diopter in place, will I risk possibly damaging the camera inside (even remotely) if a bug or some dirt flies in?

Second, Does anyone familiar with Victoria BC, know where I can obtain a replacement Diopter of any prescription to cover the eyepiece hole in the rear of the D2x? I have called the few places that are open today (Sunday) here in Victoria out of the phone book, but most laugh or tell me that it is a special order item. I have already ordered a replacement from
    B&H but it will be at my home when I arrive so that is not going to do me much good for the next three days as I tour Victoria.

Thankfully, I have a D-70 as a back up so it is not a total tragedy, but I really want to use my new D2x as you can probably all imagine. One stop tomorrow is the Victoria Butterfly Garden and the D70, as good as it is, will not be adequate to capture butterflys as they flitter about. That is D2x territory.

How frustrated am I right now?

I bet those here reading this, will know. I will check back later tonight to see if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks

2. Scott,
    That really sucks. I do not know the answer to your questions but did you ask if B&H could overnite it there? I dont think they are open until tommorrow. sorry for the bad luck, man.

3. Thought of that, but they would not get it out until monday and it might get here tuesday (probably afternoon since we are on an island), but even if they would get it here in the am, we are already scheduled on a full days activities making it difficult to get to the hotel until afternoon. We are leaving the hotel on Wed morning. Didn't seem worth the effort since most of what i need it for will be tomorrow and tuesday. My best hope is that a store that is open tomorrow might have it. There is one store that I drove to just to see how big it was and to see if it looked promising but it is definetly not B&H. I am not getting my hopes up. Thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate it.

4. Yikes Scott, that is the pitts. Hope you can resolve it.

5. Me too Gordon, thanks for your thoughts. I am having difficulty getting used to having this perfect camera at hand and not able to use it.. for want of a little inexpensive piece. I discovered it was missing just before going to bed Saturday night about 10:30PM and then went back and retraced my steps for about two hours looking in the dark for it, but no luck. I did find the rubber eyepiece that was over it, but i think someone saw the glass prism and thought it was worth something and put it in their pocket. So now I am very tired and very frustrated.

6. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I can check here tomorrow. i could overnight it to you if i find one. Or i could remove mine from my D2H and ship you that one. Let me know, you can call me direct at 8665354442 xt 103 tomorrow. I'll try 2 help the best i can.

Good luck,

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Scott,
    Sure good you have the backup camera- D70! It may surprise you with some good pictures. This sure confirms that we should all take a backup camera on trips.

And that's really terrible about the diopter--what a bummer ...

I'm pulling for you to get the replacement as soon as possible so you can use the D2X up there.

Gaye

8. Patrick,
    I am so impressed with your offer. I just turned to show your message to my wife and she is also unbelievably impressed with your generosity and the caliber of people with whom I correspond. I sincerly appreciate your gesture and very unbelievably kind offer for help. I considered having B&H overnight me one, but it just could not work since we can not be here on tuesday to wait for it and we will be going wednesday making it just not practical. Money was no object in my consideration of a remedy. I saw a guy at Butchard Garden with a D2x and offered to trade my 10.5 lens for his diopter lens. He laughed and politely declined. I let him use my 10.5 lens for his trip to the gardens for being so nice.

I don't know exactly what else to say except thank you. This is a great example of the community of friends that is the Nikon Cafe.

9. Scott, if you order one from the states, it's gonna take a bit to clear customs (brokers handle it but it will sit for a few hours on someone's desk).
    Call Ty Sheffield at NikonCanada 905-625-9910 and see what he can do. He might be able to pull up who in western Cda has ordered them lately or he can send one out to you rush. I tried to get the 3+ diopter and no camera stores in Toronto had any stock so I'll have to go straight to Nikon to get mine. This is such a bummer for you - I feel your pain, believe me.
    Cheers, Sandi

10. Thanks Sandi,
    That's exactly the advice that I was hoping for. I will call him first thing in the morning. Thank you all.

11. Scott,
    Here is a list of authorized D2X Nikon Dealers in British Columbia.

KERRISDALE CAMERAS
    4429 KINGSWAY
    BURNABY, BC, V5H 2A1
    (604) 437-8551

KERRISDALE CAMERAS
    1333 LONSDALE AVENUE
    NORTH VANCOUVER, BC, V7M 2H7
    (604) 985-9505

LENS & SHUTTER
    992 PARK ROYAL SOUTH
    WEST VANCOUVER, BC, V7T 1A1
    (604) 925-1108

LENS & SHUTTER (PACIFIC CENTRE)
    700 WEST GEORGIA STREET
    VANCOUVER, BC, V7Y 1E8
    (604) 684-4422

BROADWAY CAMERA
    102 - 1055 WEST BROADWAY
    VANCOUVER, BC, V6H 1E2
    (604) 733-9282

BEAU PHOTO SUPPLIES
    1520 WEST 6TH AVENUE
    VANCOUVER, BC, V6J 1R2
    (604) 734-7771

KERRISDALE CAMERAS
    1564 MARINE DRIVE WEST
    WEST VANCOUVER, BC, V7V 1H8
    (604) 926-5451

KERRISDALE CAMERAS
    2170 WEST 41ST AVENUE
    VANCOUVER, BC, V6M 1Z5
    (604) 263-3221

LENS & SHUTTER
    2912 WEST BROADWAY
    VANCOUVER, BC, V6K 2G8
    (604) 736-3461

KERRISDALE CAMERAS
    6584 #3 ROAD
    RICHMOND, BC, V6Y 2C2
    (604) 273-0363

KERRISDALE CAMERAS
    831 VERNON AVENUE
    VICTORIA, BC, V8X 2W8
    (250) 475-2066

KERRISDALE CAMERAS
    3531 RAVINE WAY
    VICTORIA, BC, V8X 4Z1
    (250) 475-2066

LENS & SHUTTER
    615 FORT STREET
    VICTORIA, BC, V8W 1G1
    (604) 383-7443

PHOTO TECH
    110 - 1260 ISLAND HIGHWAY
    CAMPBELL RIVER, BC, V9W 2C8
    (250) 286-1233

PHOTOGRAPHY WEST
    3022 TUTT STREET
    KELOWNA, BC, V1Y 2H5
    (250) 860-3563

DON'S PHOTO SHOP
    1715 IDYLWYLD DRIVE
    SASKATOON, SK, S7L 1B4
    (306) 934-3111

LENS & SHUTTER (SEVEN OAKS MALL)
    32900 SOUTH FRASER WAY
    ABBOTSFORD, BC, V2S 5A1
    (604) 557-0029

Also try this store. It is a pro store and I am sure they could help you.
    It is the biggest camera store in Canada. Our equivalent of B&H.
    They also have a huge store in Toronto (416) 365 1777

VISTEK
    1231 10TH AVENUE SOUTH WEST
    CALGARY, AB, T3C 0J3
    (403) 244-2711

Sorry, I don't know Vancouver enough to tell you which store is the best
    to help you but I am sure one of these will have a diopter for you. If you
    still can't find one let me know and I will see what I can do from Toronto.

Cheers,
    Robin

12. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    No problem Scott. Just let me know if you need my assistance. You know how to reach me. :) I hope you find a remedy very quickly.

13. Wow Robin,
    You spent a lot of time and energy writing down all those resources. Again, wow. Thank you Robin and everyone for all your help and concern.

I have some bad news and some good news to report. I spoke to Ty Sheffield on Sandi's recommendation. He said that there is no where in my area that would have a diopter in stock and it would have to be special ordered. That's the bad news. The good news is that he felt that there would be no problem using the camera when the glass diopter is missing. He said basically, just point it in automatic focus and trust the camera. He felt that the camera was sufficiently sealed that no harm would come to it without the diopter in place. He said "people loss those damn things all the time" (his words). What a nice guy! He was very helpful and understanding. For info only, it appears that this could be a potential in field problem for someone with a vision issue. My remedy is to carry a spare from now on. Don't know exactly how it fell off because I checked it (I thought) very carefully after the replacement was in place. Just goes to show that things may not always be as they seem.

I intend to take his advice and go back to shooting the x.

Again, thanks all for your genuine concern and assistance. This forum rocks!!!