1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

help! f EE came up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by evokel, Sep 8, 2008.

1. evokel

evokel

Sep 6, 2008
    florida
    hello everyone I am really new here. So my problem is that I have a d80 and i JUST purchased a new lens [50mm f/1.8] and when i try changing the aperture, my screen pops up as f EE and it does not allow me to take pics unless I am on the default aperture. can anyone help me out please?!

2. NateD

NateD Guest

have you turned the aperture ring past f/22 to its locking position? Are you trying to control the f-stop on the lens on through the camera?

3. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Lock your aperture ring to the F/22 position. There's a lever on the barrel of the lens that will allow you to do so.

4. evokel

evokel

Sep 6, 2008
    florida
    yeah im trying to, but it wont allow me to?

i locked it,
    but when i unlock it to change it, f EE comes up and does not allow me to do anything

5. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    You're not supposed to change it, on all digital Nikons lock it at the F/22 or whatever number is orange and leave it there.

Change the values using the controls on the camera, not the lens itself.

6. evokel

evokel

Sep 6, 2008
    florida
    ohhh ok, i really didnt get why only one worked. but thank you for the help!

7. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Glad you understand now.

The apeture ring is only supposed to be moved around if you're using an old film Nikon which doesn't have an electronic interface. Keep it locked on your digital models.

The only time you use a lens at a setting other than the smallest (orange) number is if you're using an old AI or AIS lens which doesn't properly work with the D80 anyway.

8. Well thanks, folks, I have been meaning to ask about this as i have a similar problem. I have been reversing a 50 mm, and I guess i moved the aperture ring accidental. When i mounted it front ways, I got the error, but since I do not use it much, I put off finding the problem:smile:

9. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I see your problem Tom

I guess reversing the lens where you have to control the apeture mechcanically (since the linkages are disconnected) is another reason to take the lens off the smallest value.

Because I use old Nikon film bodies sometimes I tend to find myself adjusting my 300/4 and 105/2.8 to certain values then forgetting to fix them when I remount onto my D50.

10. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    I had this same problem once and the same perplexity figuring it out.

(I also got an error on the first day with my D80 that still has me laughing. I would hit the shutter, get no 'snap', and the camera showed an error. FINALLY figured out that the flash was going up, whacking the brim of my baseball cap, and causing an error. Doh! Camera wouldn't shoot while it was in front of my face due to the hat, but the flash would be up when I went to look at the camera.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.