Help for friend re downloading flashcards on trip

Hi, I have a friend who is going to get a D70 for a big national park tour.She wants to get two/three lenses, ones easy to carry.

She won't have a laptop so is there a small device she can download flashcards into as she travels?

I'm suggesting the 12-24 for Bryce and other views--also the 50 f/1.4 for low light and the 24-120VR for walkaround-- Would the 28-200 be a better choice for walkaround because of size.. The VR is a big advantage in the 24-120...

Any other suggestions? Do you think the SB800 is needed? It would be for me-

Thanks very much!

Gaye

I've seen a couple of devices such as these at the local computer stores. They are basically a small box with a slot for a laptop hard drive. This is not the exact one that I saw at CompUSA, but it is similar:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/xdrive-vp300.html

The one I saw had a BW LCD screen and big buttons for copying the contents of various removable media to and from the internal drive. I think the one I saw was around $79 without the hard drive. As a plus, I think they also function as MP3 players :)

There may be similar devices that have color LCDs for previewing -- I'm not sure the BW model has any provisions for previews or thumbnails.

Browsing around, it looks like the new iPod Photo from Apple might or might not have the ability to import photos from a card reader (reactions are mixed and it looks like it might require a 3rd party add-on cable -- Apple seems to be releasing one sometime this month). Do a Google search with the following search terms to see a bunch of articles and discussion about this:

iPod photo flash card camera download

The iPod Photo does allow you to preview the pictures in full color and I'm sure it is a great portable music player (we have an iPod Mini), but the iPod Photos start at $350 for a 40GB model and, like I said, people are having mixed signals about the possibility of downloading straight from a camera or card reader, so the stuff described above may be a better/cheaper deal.

Patrick might have some insight on these devices or more information about prices for laptop hard drives (hint, hint).

Help for friend

Ahoy Gaye,

I just received my DVD BurnAway from Delkin Devices www.delkin.com,
it will burn DVD or Cd's from compact Flash cards, you can review on any computer or Tv or any computer while on travel. I got it to take on airtravel to eliminate taking my lap-top. It comes with a battery and AC adapter I also got an auto adapter. I've been running a lot of tests this past week with it, it will also play music cd's and DVD movies once hooked up to a TV set.

POPEYE

Gaye,

Did you sell your 70-300ED.. I have one to sell. But mind you without VR tripod is a pain to carry

I know nothing of portable storage device and did not see much mentioned.. Would like to get one though. If I ever go on another photo session like the Merritt one. I missed alot not having enough cards or a place to record the media.

I think I would carry the 50mm and my 80-400 VR :>)) Love that lens.

Cheers
Gale

I am overwhelmed with the great information you've all written about including the flashcard download device and the suggestions for lenses.

This is extremely helpful information for me to pass along to my friend.

Really can't thank each and every one of you enough..Your input is invaluable and has saved me much time ...

Many thanks :!: :!: and best to you all,

Gaye

Hi Gale,
Please explain your comment so I'm sure I understand-----

But mind you without VR tripod is a pain to carry

Do you think the 70-300 is tough to use and carry without a monopod/tripod? My friend has a bad back so the smaller the better for her...Perhaps the 80-200 would work??

I'll give her all this information and she can decide but it sure has helped to get input on this forum post.

Thanks again,
Gaye

First of all Gaye, my recommendations for lenses would be:

18-70 (kit lens) and either the 70-300 (G or ED) if there is a budget constraint, or the 80-400VR if not. All three are very good (not great, but very good) lenses, and all are relatively light (the 80-400VR at 2.9 lbs is the heaviest - the 18-70 is about 0.8 lbs, and the 70-300 is about 1.1 lbs).

On a related subject, based on the recommendations in this thread, Patrick and I ordered the Delkin DVDBurnAway for copying our CF cards. So we owe you our thanks for starting this thread.... :lol:

So, Thanks!! :wink:

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your input about the lenses. She is buying the D70 with the kit lens today and I've recommended the 70-300 but will also talk to her about the 80-400VR..I think that's a great lens and would be super on her grand canyon trip...

And so funny about the DVD Burnaway.. I ordered it today... and think my friend will too after she sees mine. Nothing better than having the card burn right onto a DVD..That's awesome technology and just couldn't pass it up...

So when I see you next time we'll do some serious burning together :lol:

Thanks for everything including this outstanding forum!

Gaye

Gaye,

Well I am selling it for a reason :>)) The 70-300 is fine on a tripod. I used it for a year.

I love the 80-400 VR,VR,VR,VR,VR,VR, lololol

That 70-200 VR is a dandy. Have never held one tho. Others could tell you better on that one than me. But the images are great.

I have a Sigma 28-135/macro you can hand hold. Thats not to bad. I would not buy it again tho.

50 MM is a must. good walk around small light lens.
I have the 1.8. Inexpensive.

You had mentioned the 70-300 that is the only reason I mentioned it. :>))

Sure would love to sell it. But will always be truthful.. Great for the young and steady.

Cheers
Gale

GeeJay said:
I'm suggesting the 12-24 for Bryce and other views--also the 50 f/1.4 for low light and the 24-120VR for walkaround-- Would the 28-200 be a better choice for walkaround because of size.. The VR is a big advantage in the 24-120...

Gaye :

Good advice you're giving your friend.

If she's predominately shooting landscapes, this is a great mix. I use the 12-24mm extensively now, and my 18-35mm is pretty much sitting to the side. OTOH, if she can't hit the cash for the 12-24mm, the kit lens will do a credible job combined with the 24-120mm for most things.

Opinions are mixed on the 24-120mm, but Thom Hogan's given (as usual) a balanced assessment at http://www.bythom.com/24120ens.htm . I personally find that Thom's comments match my experience pretty well on this lens.

And, FWIW, the 24-120mm AFS/VR has a good "price point" for your friend, especially if she's going to get the 12-24mm AFS which is not a cheap lens.

If she goes with the kit lens, she may want more reach at lower cost, and the 70-300mm would be an inexpensive way of getting more reach. My (very) limited use of the lens suggests that it's pretty good stopped down at the mid- and longer end. Again, Thom Hogan's review may be of some use - http://www.bythom.com/70300lens.htm . Note that Thom tested at f/22 with not great results - I didn't do anywhere near as much in my two day use of the lens.

The 70-300mm lens is also darned light in weight, an item that you noted as important to your friend. By comparison, the 70-200mm AFS/VR is a lot heavier, as is the 80-200mm .

Also important to consider is that people like you and me who have lenses like the 200-400mm AFS/VR sometimes get a bit spoiled with what we shoot with (well, just me maybe - I think you're a nicer person :D ). It gets easy to look down on lenses like the 24-120mm or the 70-300mm when we have such great glass. Your friend, if she's starting without high end glass, may well be able to get fantastic images with those lenses, and not feel at all "deprived" in her photography.

IMO, at least.

John P.

P.S. The comment from MontyDog on getting her up the learning curve for the D70 is also darned good advice. If she's comfortable with the basic functions of the camera, the process will go nicely. If she's not at least versed in a few of these things on the D70, it won't matter if she assembles a $10k lens kit for her shooting pleasure.

Hi John,
I have digested every word of your post. I always enjoy reading your comments. They make so much sense to me. Your observations are so right and I thank you very much.

Tomorrow I'm meeting my friend and will show her the lens options. I have most of the ones that have been mentioned on this post. I'll let her actually play with them and get the feel of the weight.

And you're so right about the good glass that we have :!: :!: I won't show her my 200-400 until 2007 :lol:

Thanks and best to you !
Gaye

For storage, you have got to pass on to her the Archos Gmini 400

http://www.archos.com/products/overview/gmini_400.html

It is super small, has 20GB of storage and can display JPG images (no support for RAW yet). It can also hold movies, mp3s, etc.

I've been using one since the day they came out and it's been fantastic. The CF card plugs directly into the unit and the transfer is fast. Battery life is solid.

Downsides are that it doesn't take CF microdrives and the UI is a bit clunky (but you get used to it).

Best feature overall is that it is SMALL!! Will fit almost anywhere.

_/oe

Gaye, your lens suggestion is a winner! I would only mention a bigger tele like the 80-200 f/2.8 (never leave home without it)

As far as the portable device, I can only suggest the "Wolverine 60GB FlashPac 7000, 7-in-1 Portable Data Storage Device & Media Reader" which is the best value for money IMHO! (less than $270 @ B&H) :wink:

Hey Panos,

Never seen the Wolverine before but considering the size and capacity (and price) it looks very interesting.

Can you tell a little more about your experience using it? How reliable have you found it to be?

_/oe

Joe_Lorenzini said:
Can you tell a little more about your experience using it? How reliable have you found it to be?

Joe, I use to have the elder version 20GBs, and it was a no-problems relationship. With a single press button I downloaded a 1GB CF card in 10-15 minutes. Battery life was very good, some 90min total. Strong build yet very light-weight (~2 lbs) and fits in your shirts pocket. 8)

The only "handicap" is the rechargeable Lithium-Ion batteries that you have to keep full and cannot replace with ordinary ones. :x

The newest versions are a lot better! Check the 100GBs... :!: :!: :!:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...mp;A=details&Q=&sku=367691&is=REG

PGB

I received a DVD Burnaway today. It didn't work!
:( OUt of the box it had problems and would not burn disks, dvd or cdr. I was dissapointed. I talked with Popeye since he had one. I wasn't doing anything incorrect.......

I called Delkin and they advised me that it was defective.

Oh well. Just thought I would share.

Latest threads

Top Bottom