HELP!! -- Front focus problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flew, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I was out shooting with my D2H and 300 2.8. I was trying to get some shots of the Eagles that are nesting in our area. The Eagles never showed up, but I spent a couple of hours taking test shots. What I found was that my 300 2.8 is front-focusing pretty badly. I should note that my 300 2.8 was attached to my D2H when I fell back in August, requiring $485 in repairs to the D2H. I thought that the 300 2.8 was OK, but now I'm not so sure.

Since I was waiting for the Eagles, I had the 1.4 TC mounted. When I carefully aimed and focused on a well-lit stationary object, the image through the viewfinder didn't look as sharp as I expected. Sure enough, after some experimentation, I was able to get much sharper view by turning the focus ring about 1 degree or so, toward infinity. This was 100% repeatable over many cycles. After doing this many times, I put the 1.7 TC on. It did the same thing, though to a lesser degree (very small adjustment needed to get perfect focus).

So, my question is does anyone have any words of wisdom, or have any of you had a similar experience? Right now, I'm leaning toward sending the 300 in for inspection by Nikon, but I think that I might croak from withdrawal. :eek:

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    500 f4
    NK5004AF2.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Har, har, har....:rolleyes:

With friends like you, I need a better credit line. :biggrin:

4. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Frank,
    I would try the same test with the same lens and your other D2H, and the same D2H and another lens, just to eliminate the camera (if you haven't already done so).

Other than that, mabye a 300/2.8 VR? Or Sigma 300-800?

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Chris,

I meant to mention that I tried the 300 with both TC's on my 2nd D2H. It was actually worse than my primary (the one I got from Mike Mac). Good thought though. :smile: