Help! How do I get rid of Safe Finder???

I'm not familiar with his malware removal tool, but I do use Malwarebytes (the free version) based on recommendations received from several here at the Café.

Last edited:
Just curious.
Over the years I have had some malware that would not let Malwarebytes run.
Obviously it knew that if it were started that would be it's end.
I had to start up the machine in safe mode and let Malwarebytes remove it.
Is there a way to start a Mac in a type of safe mode?

I'm not familiar with his malware removal tool, but I do use Malwarebytes (the free version) based on recommendations received from several here at the Café.
+1 for Malwarebytes.
They have a Mac version as well as Windows.
To be pedantic it is nothing to do with Microsoft and it isn't a virus.

Malwarebytes is good at removing malware, including PUPs, which is what this is.
Thank you all so much. I’m away from my computer for a while, but later this evening I’ll try what you said and report back!

Dossy, did you download and install any new software such as some sort of “Mac Cleaner”? That is often how these PUPs get into a system.
Nope. I haven't downloaded anything. I am suspicious that I was looking at recipes on Pinterest. I think some of those sites might be scams for this purpose. Last time I had something unwanted, I was able to find it in extensions and delete it. This one does not seem to appear anywhere except their icon is on top of some of my Safari pages.

I just downloaded the free malwarebytes and let it scan. I restarted and the Safe Finder still shows on the top right corner when i do a search. I read that you can click on Safe Finder and it has an uninstall feature, but I'm afraid to click on the icon.

Check this out.....the Safe Finder icon seems to only appear when I open a safari window and do a Yahoo search for my bank's name. I tried searching other banks and it did not appear. I am definitely not going into my bank's website til I figure this out. What does this mean???

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
When the Malwarebytes scan finished it should have allowed you to see everything bad it found and then quarantine those things.
Did that happen? Did it say it found Safe Finder? Or other things as well?
Did you do a quick scan or a full scan? Do a full scan.

Do you use Time Machine?

If you do, stop it right away so that this stops getting backed up and then use this to roll back a few days.

When the Malwarebytes scan finished it should have allowed you to see everything bad it found and then quarantine those things.
Did that happen? Did it say it found Safe Finder? Or other things as well?
Did you do a quick scan or a full scan? Do a full scan.
I downloaded the free trial. I haven't "activated license" of "upgraded." It does not give me the option of full scan. I tried it again just now and it did not find it. Do you recommend the $39.99?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I downloaded the free trial. I haven't "activated license" of "upgraded." It does not give me the option of full scan. I tried it again just now and it did not find it. Do you recommend the $39.99?
No, you don't need to pay, that won't help.
If it looks like mine you click Scan on the left side, then click the Custom Scan box, then click Configure Scan.

No custom setting in mine either.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I did my last time machine backup before this all happened.
Good, you can restore to that point:
  1. Restart your Mac.
  2. While it is starting up, hold down the "Command & R" keys simultaneously. Your Mac will boot into MacOS Utilities.
  3. Select "Restore from Time Machine Backup" from the available options.
  4. Click "Continue".
  5. Click "Continue" on the "Restore Your System" Page.
  6. Select your Time Machine Backup.
  7. Click "Continue".
  8. Select an appropriate backup from before you got infected.
  9. Click "Continue".
  10. Grab a coffee and wait for it to be restored.