Help! I can't decide what to lust after!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by rsprouse, Jun 20, 2007.

1. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    Well folks, I must admit I never thought I'd see the day when I couldn't get my lust up! :redface: But I am so happy with my current lens lineup that I can't decide what to lust after with my annual bonus coming up.

Here's the current lineup (not including all the old, never-used stuff):
    D2Xs and D70 bodies
    12-24mm f/4 DX (my only DX lens)
    18-70mm f/2-5-4.5 - stays on the D70 as a walkabout setup
    28-70mm f/2.8D
    Canon 35mm f/2.8 T/S
    50mm F/1.4D
    85mm f/1.4D
    70-200mm f/2.8G VR
    85mm F/2.8 PC Micro
    105mm f/2 DC
    200-400mm f/4G VR
    TC14E II, TC17E II and Kenko Pro 300 (2x) Teleconverters

So what could I possibly want to add? Here are a few of my ideas:

10.5 Fish - would I really use it?
    Noct? Will I ever find one?
    Long macro - maybe the 200? Also hard to find.
    Long primes? I think if Nikon adds VR to the 500mm f/4, that will tip me over.

Does anyone have any other ideas to supplement my kit? I am a very general-purpose photographer, though I do gravitate toward landscapes, nature and macro stuff, and would like to do more birding. And, I must admit, I just like collecting cool Nikon stuff.

-- Russ

2. I would go for a 600mm f4!

3. Isn't the 18-70 also a DX lens?? Good luck with those choices. You have some hard to find stuff there - the 10.5 is out of stock everywhere, the Noct is going to cost you a fortune "if" you happen to find one, don't know much about the others you mentioned. Good luck...

One awesome piece of glass I don't see in your list is the 17-55, that would probably be the BEST replacement for the 18-70..

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Russ :

You want us to feed your lens lust ?

Well, OK, in that case, think about these three...

28mm f/1.4 - this lens is everything you've heard about it and more. It's a "Light Magnet", it's gifted with incredible bokeh, it's just about ideal for wandering around a city at night and shooting...

58mm f/1.2 "Noct" - the reputation is deserved and it's a treat to shoot MF with it. I don't know anyone who's purchased this lens and not had absolute major fun.

70-180mm Micro - flexible, sharp, and with either a Nikon 5T or 6T closer than you might ever want. Insects look scary...​

All three are discontinued lenses, which make them a bit difficult to find, and all three are fairly pricey, which makes them difficult to finance. :eek:

Once you've purchased these, we'll talk about the 1200-1500mm f/5.6-8 lens, as you'll likely have mastered (some) manual focus techniques with the Noct and the 70-180mm... :rolleyes: :wink:

John P.

5. rubendparra

rubendparra Guest

i would go 10.5 , 17-35 and 105 VR and 200 VR.

that will complete the whole setup.... what about a 28 f1.4?

6. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    Keith, you're right, of course. I didn't think to include that since as I say it lives on the D70 as my "casual" camera and I don't even think of them as part of my "real" kit.

-- Russ

7. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Russ, how about helping other fellow café members satisfy their lens lust ? :biggrin:

8. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    Thanks for all the great ideas. I have thought about the 17-35mm, I favor it over the 17-55 DX because if Nikon does come out with a FF Pro body, I'll probably want that too.

How does the 70-180 Micro stack up against the 200 Micro? I already have the 105mm Bellows Nikkor and a PB-4, but that's a pretty cumbersome combo for field work. It sure is great for tabletop micro stuff, though.

The 28mm f/1.4 is another very interesting idea. I can see that as a great option for nighttime street stuff, which I don't currently do much of.

Keep the ideas and comments coming!

-- Russ

9. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    Greg, I do have a Gitzo 1327 and Markins M20L ballhead, so I am in pretty good shape there. I am thinking about upgrading to their newer style legs, and a full Wimberley to replace my Sidekick, but that's a lot of dough for a relatively minor incremental improvement.

-- Russ

10. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    More seriously , try looking at the 10.5. It will definitely make you see things differently. This site will help you see some shots taken with that lens ( and not only that one for that matter ) .

11. cadman

cadman

Dec 4, 2006
    Johns Creek, GA
    I don't know.... I made the mistake of borrowing a 14 2.8........... wow

If you like landscape. it is waaaay cool.

12. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    Julien, you make a good point. The 10.5 is the most "different" lens I can think of from the rest of my kit, and might make the best addition. I wonder why it is out of stock everywhere.

-- Russ

13. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    Treat yourself to the 300-800MM F5.6 Sigmonster!!!!

Combine all your TC's to it and shoot for the stars literally...
    really shoot the craters of the moon, the rings on Saturn... GO FOR IT!!!!

FULLFILL YOUR LENS LUST AND BUY IT NOW!!!!

14. I'd put the 200/f4 Micro on your list, as long as you are simply suffering from LLD. I find that it is compositionally much easier to work with than the shorter macro lenses, and of course there's nothing to argue about in the performance category. This lens is still very much in production and it should not be hard to find either new or used.

The 10.5mm is not something that you'll use unless you have it and you get accustomed to composing around its idiosyncracies. (sp?) I mistakenly bought mine several years ago on the typical premise that it could be defished. I'm not good enough at previsualizing how that works, and anyway I now (and you) have plenty of alternatives in rectilinear superwides not to have to do that. However, now that I have it and I have adjusted to it, I find it very useful. I don't shoot that many with it, but on a percentage basis I think it's my highest scorer of keepers.

Finally, I don't know about you, but I've read the 200/f2 thread enough to have that one on my list too...

15. Try the 28 1.4.

I did, and I just HAD to have one.

16. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Russ :

I just shot both on Monday morning - Ron Reznick let me test his 200mm Micro and I had the 70-180mm with me. I'd give an edge to the 200mm Micro, but not a large one. The 70-180mm wins hands down in terms of flexibility, however. It's not just an exceptionally fine macro lens, but serves passing well walking around for other subjects.

Now, neither is going to be as interesting as the PB-4 and the 105mm Bellows lens, because the compositional aspects of tilt-shift are enormous, but, OTOH, as you point out, that combo's not for easy field shooting.

Now, if you want to lust in another direction, you could acquire the Zeiss Luminar or the Nikon Multiphot objective lenses and shoot with those on the PB-4 bellows. Both types of lens have incredible macro/micro capabilities and offer startling perspectives on the eensy-weensy world around us...

Me, I'd love it if the Canon 24mm T/S could be adapted for Nikon mount (AFAIK, it can't), and use that for some seriously fascinating near-far compositions.

John P.

17. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    IIRC Bjorn modded a canon TS lens to work w nikon. let me look for a link

18. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    linked he shows that he has a canon 35 TS modded for Nikon.

19. Russ, no doubt about it ; 200mm Micro - you will LOVE it....