Help i.d. My Jersey Egret's

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Anthony747, May 21, 2005.

1. Hi All!
    I shot both of these egret's here in New Jersey (USA) at the same lake about one day apart, I noticed that the first egret photo below was half the size of the egret I shot today and I also noticed the different color bill. Both shot with the Nikon D70 and Nikon 70-200mm VR.

Thanks for any information.

Anthony

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great shots....

1 Snowey Egret

2 Great White Egret, in breeding plumage. See the green just above the beek :>)))

3. The small one is a Snowy Egret and the large one is a Great Egret. That is providing I have not forgotten what I used to know about Egrets.

4. Thanks for the quick response!

Gale I'm very new to bird photography and I do see the green just above the beek, but what do you mean in breeding plumage?

Thanks!

5. Anthony,

This might help you: the snowy egret is smaller and has yellow feet (which you can just see in your photo) while the great egret is much larger and has black feet. During breeding season, the great egrets get long tail feathers (hanging down in the water in your photo)

If you are getting interested in birding, I would recommend "The Sibley Guide to Birds" by David Allen Sibley. It is the best I have seen. I have the large book, but now there is a pocket version to take into the field with you.

Don't be reluctant to ask for help on an ID!

Bob

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Anthony, that is thier mating plumage. Guess to attract the pretty girls :>)))