Help I.D This Bird Shore Bird For Me?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Anthony747, Aug 29, 2005.

1. This cute little bird was checking out my 70-200mm VR pointing at it. Any help identifying this little guy would be appreciated.

Thanks, Anthony

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. No help on the ID Anthony but he is a cute little guy. I have seen them before but don't have a clue for the name. Good images.

3. It looks like a western sandpiper but I'm not sure. Nice images.

4. dang tough call there Anthony, could be as Dao said or a semipalmated sandpiper, in any event looks like winter plumage???? tough sucker to nail exposure, you done well! nice shots

5. Keith you are correct!

I did a little research and the Semipalmated Sandpipers breed in sub- and mid-arctic areas of Canada and Alaska migration south begins in early July, stopping only for short periods at such staging areas as Delaware Bay, New Jersey; Cheyenne Bottoms, most birds fly nonstop to South America over the Atlantic, a distance of more than 3,000 km.

I shot him/her in Sandy Hook, New Jersey

Thanks, Anthony

6. Thanks Gordon!

Anthony

7. Dao Dang, This little guy Winters in your neck of the woods!

Anthony

8. Nice shot see you got a lot of feed back on the ID I am terrible at this part of bird photography

9. actually, I am fairly certain its a Sanderling. Its very difficult to tell these small shorebirds apart, especially when there's no other point of reference as to size etc. But, the shorter, straight bill looks more like Sanderling to me as well as the proximity to the waterline. Sanderlings tend to run along the waves probing in the sand just ahead of the surf. Western and Semipalmated sandpipers are more likely to be found on mud flats or along bay waters than along surf.

Nice shots either way, these guys don't usually stand still!

10. Hi Janet! Man these Sandpippers are hard to ID! I looked up your suggestion the Sanderling in my "Kaufnam Focus Guide" and this guy looks just like you suggested but it also like Semipalmated :confused: Below is another shot.

Thanks, Anthony

[​IMG]