Help, I have...

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Doug, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Bag envy! I simply cannot resist trying a new flavor every now and then. Some work, some go to the, well, I'll use that occasionally pile. (Then of course, rarely do you, if ever)

This week, it was the Kata R-102 rucksack. Adorama ran a sale, well, it wasn't a great sale in reality, but at least it had free shipping. I was curious enough about it, I decided to bite.

I've never had a Kata bag, so this will be interesting. I do like the light weight of it, for hiking, so I thought I'd try it. I was not crazy about my Lowepro Mini-trekker the last time I hiked with it. I found it a good bag to carry gear in, but not such a great bag to carry??? I found that it did not vent at all down my back, that I did not like.

I do have a couple of other Loweprowes, ok, 3. But none like the Kata. I picked up another phototrekker, unloading the Pelican roller I had, that I didn't like. green did nothing for me. Then I have a Rover AW and a compurover AW. I could probably unload the rover aw, but the compurover I carry to work, hehe.

Anyway, Adorama's sales flyer got me, so Kata, here we come!

2. I picked one of those up last Fall after shlepping the Computrekker became too much for me. Love the Kata! Much more back friendly. Very compact for what it holds, nice and solid build. It's become my main bag when I'm walking alot. The Computrekker stays at home alot more now.

3. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Thanks for the comments Larry. I felt that if it didn't work out, I'd get most my cash back, well 3/4 anyway, and I really was deficient in the lightweight pack area. I've been curious about Kata for a long time, so starting with a more budget bag, and with free shipping, cool.

That's exactly what I am thinking, especially as I load up on Primes. Throw me a mess of primes in there, and put the sack on and go shoot some, leave all that heavy stuff at the house some. :)

Doug

4. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    lmao....

I picked up the crappiest, low key, used, beat-up bag for my personal use. As it turns out, its the same bag my father used when he shot weddings, just a smaller version of it. What are the chances?

5. oddstray

oddstray

Jul 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I have spent lo these many decades as an anti-fashionista. So much so that my friends used to joke that my car was the one in the sketch next to the dictionary entry of 'car'. What can I say? I value utility over style.

One of my "friends" recently managed to finagle me into buying a Crumpler http://www.crumplerbags.com/ purely on the suggestion that it wasn't as ugly as the LowePro that I was carrying to the checkout. And darnit, it's pretty darn close to being as useful as the LowePro would have been. It's not ideal ... but that's my lack of foresight. It isn't large enough (for my D80 plus all the associated <grimace>"accessories" </grimace>

(And my spouse, who <moan>should</moan> be supporting my values, recently found me a "pretty" handbag that was utilitarian (a Fossil) instead of the plain but useful organizer that I was going to buy.

So I'm being sucked into the Dark Side Of Style ... And darnit. It's also useful. I nearly bought a larger Crumpler last weekend. :eek:

6. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Zack, odds? I'm not an odds maker, but if he gave you his basic values, I guess they are pretty good... same one though, pretty strange.

oddity, well yes, I have a couple of crumplers, but have not tried a backpack from them. I have a 5 and 6 million bag. I use those some, but would not use for hiking, I don't like things on my neck long and invariably, those shoulder straps wind up on the neck.

7. cuttooth

cuttooth Guest

i have a computrekker that has served me well for the last few years (granted not for hiking) but now that i have a new 17" macbook pro the compu portion no longer fits my laptop. any suggestions on a new bag that would hold a similar amount of gear as well as a macbook pro.

8. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    it may be tought to replace the utility of a computrekker, and hold a 17" notebook. That's a good size bag already.

I am not familiar with the Vertex. link?

9. Hm.... I have the Computrekker AW and the MBP fits easily with three inches to spare. Is the striaght computrekker smaller?

Thanks, Rich

10. After I bought my D200 the Kata R-103 was the 1st bag I bought. I followed it with the Kata 214 Torso bag, a Tamrac sling bag, the LowePro Slingshot 300 and Stealth Reporter 550 AW, a Domke F-3X, a Tamrac messenger bag, a Tamrac 614, and a lowepro mini trekker.

All were sold

The Kata R103 is back to being the only camera bag own.

11. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    it's a nice looking bag.

Fred, sounds like you went around the bag circuit, lol.

I have many many bags now, it's sort of a hobby, collecting them. lol.

I really hope to eventually find the utility I need for every occasion, then dunk the rest. Someday... I have dropped a few, traded a few, etc...

Doug

12. I sure did. Now I'm thinking of getting the smaller one (R101 I think) for my wife.

13. At the last Alabama get together I won a bag at the raffle. When I picked it out from the pile of goodies my wife cried out loudly "Not ANOTHER bag!"

:biggrin: