HELP - I need some quick pricing advice!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StL_Don, May 7, 2007.

1. I just received this email:

Hi Donald,
    Great news! We would like to use one of your images on the cover! Its your image id 9260, where Teddy is jumping a log and his two front feet perfectly cover the RO of the Rolex sign.

We still have to get permission from Karen, so it's not a complete done deal, but all fingers are crossed!

I do need to know what you would charge for this image. We would like it for a one time cover, as well as web usage on the Eventing page of our website, and print ad usage (mocked up as the cover with our logo).

Also, how soon would you be able to get me the high res image? Of course, all this hinges on Karen, but with any luck we'll hear today from her.

Thanks so much!!
    Christine

Christine Geddes
    Catalog Production Coordinator
    Dover Saddlery

This is the company http://www.doversaddlery.com

They are the largest in the saddlery industry and produce high quality print catalogs.

What should I charge?
    Of course at this stage of my new carreer I'm just tickled for the recognition.

Thanks!
    a very excited Don

2. I can't help you with the pricing but I would like to offer my congratulaitons though!

3. Hey Don -

Well . . . what's the price of the latest object of your lens lust????

Congrats!

Eric

4. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. This is the image they want.
    I'm guessing they have a set price they pay for covers and she's hoping I come in lower. I'm hesitant to ask "what do you usually pay?".

original.

6. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Nice shot! Congratulations!

I'd ask them what they have in mind....the tone of that e-mail was not one of someone trying to get over on you. If you feel it is too low, well tell them....if you feel it is too high...well... :)

7. totoro

totoro Guest

Don't know about price, but that's a great photo!

8. Don,
    Great shot! If it were me, I'd ask a modest
    250-300.

9. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Congrats, Don!

It is not uncommon to reply and ask what their standard fee is for cover photography. You may even be pleasently surprised with their response. :wink:

Good luck in the negotiations and keep us informed on how it goes.

10. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Don

The covers I've been involved in are typically in the $250 range.

They also noted that they wanted to use this in print advertising.

If it were me, I'd throw $350 at them and see if they bit or negotiated you down.

Just my 2 cents.

11. Jim and Carlton,
    That's what I had in mind.
    I'll go with the $350 with me retaining copyright.

Thanks all for the advice.

Don

12. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    $350 is way low. For a cover photo on an advertising catalog for a company that has 8 retail stores & internet sales, the fee should be closer to $900 for a catalog with a circulation of 1,000. For 2-5,000 it would be closer to $1100. Print ads and web usage each bring additional fees. Lets say the print ads run in a regional magazine with a circulation of 5,000. 1/4 page should bring you somewhere in the range of $425. The web usage would generally bring the least of the uses, but should still bring up to $150.

13. Your good advice came too late... :frown:
    I knew when they didn't wince at the $350 it was too low.

Oh well, it will be a good thing for the portfolio and may help me along to bigger and better things.
    The most important of which will be getting credentialed so I can have full access at future events.

Don

14. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Can't help on the pricing, but WOW, what a great shot!

15. Great shot! Congratulations! And, you were too low. And, that's coming from someone who is notorious for pricing my stuff way too low. Oh well, still a great accomplishment and $350 you didn't have yesterday!

16. Beautiful shot. I concur with Jim. A lot depends on the kind of market their magazine is in. Large circulation mags would pay more but for niche mags that would be a good price IMO.

17. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Don, Just wanted to extend my heartfelt congratulations, wonderful shot. The $350- I'm sure will be spent on camera stuff real soon. Take care- Jeff

18. Was that event in Kentucky recently?

I spent my morning recovering nearly 200 pictures that a friend took at a big equestrian event. She fiddled with the exposure because the LCD looked overexposed (white) because it had been adjusted without her knowledge. They all came out underexposed.

In a fit of anger, she erased all her pictures. Afterward, she reconsidered (must have been "Photographers Remorse").

19. April 27-19 at Kentucky Horse Park, Lexington.

Don