Help I Need the Best P&S Fast!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hs200, Jun 30, 2008.

1. My daughters quit and they are going on vacation. I tried to suggest she buy a DSLR, to no avail. She insists on the simple camera. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    The Nikon S550 and S600 are nice cameras a little smaller than a deck of cards but very full featured.

3. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    So many criteria for "best p&s" - it's hard to give an answer.

Indestructable? The Olympus SW series
    Bang for the buck? The Canon A5x0 series
    Best alround P&S? Canon G9
    Best lowlight sensor? Fuji F50 series

Take your pick...

4. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    I had a couple of Nikon Coolpix which I liked but I picked up a Sony P&S about 8 months ago (don't recall the model but it was one of the latest) and it was pretty good.

5. JDann24

JDann24

Dec 15, 2007
    Garland, Texas
    Canon G9 is greatness.

6. G9 wins!!

Thanks, everyone. I read the reviews and the G9 must be a fantastic little camera. I guess I will send my daughter to the dark side.:biggrin:

7. Heiland

Heiland Guest

canon 590is

just bought a 590 is.......having more fun with it then my D2X...............150$ from Amazon

8. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Ok I bought the Olympus 1030SW - it's also an underwater camera...but not salt water. Also was told that if you drop it on the ground it will be fine - 5ft or less.

9. I'd look around for a Fuji F30/F31. I saw a couple new ones floating around on eBay a few weeks ago.

Take a look at this review.

Or this one.

10. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I have used the 720SW in salt water without any problems. Just make sure you wash it afterwards (I just soak it in the sink for ten minutes).

It has dropped multiple times from my desk at work on the floor - on a carpeted floor, that makes a big difference. But clearly being dropped from 2ft to 4ft is no problem :smile:

One thing Olympus really understands is how to p.o. customers by using xD cards. Especially by making sure that pano-stitching mode is only available if you're using an olympus xD card.

11. jmmtn4aj

jmmtn4aj

Apr 12, 2007
    Singapore
    Are any of the current IXUS models worth it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.