1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Help, I need to get my "Mo-J0" back.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff Lee, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Lately I've become somewhat fixated on the quality, both artistic and technical of my images. I just realized to get 2 keepers I shot 300 images of 8 subjects. And it has taken the "fun" out of imaging for me I think.

I'm thinking about the ways to make this more fun and less "serious", but I'm not quite sure how. I still feel the thrill and desire to image, but its the sessions trying to add to my personal portfolio and at the computer that are taking some of the joy out of it. I can't remember the last time I didn't do multiple moves in ACR, multiple levels, and several prints in CS3 to get the "score" to sound like the music I saw so to speak. I don't shoot jpg because I feel the need to have the "digital negative".

One good thing is that my NAS is totally gone, but I'm looking at a lots of images in books and the net - Old masters and new stuff- (has somewhat cut down on the times I post).

I'm spending lots of time visualizing shots and shooting the subject from various respects, even working multiple lenses (zooms and fixed) on the same subject. Even waited an hour to get the right image from a Green Heron I imaged.

Haven't really done much imaging in the past 3 months because I'm spending my time trying to get my Mo-Jo back.....Have I set my standards to high or unrealistic?

For those who don't visit the Macro or Birding forums, here are the two images I kept out of the last 400:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jeff - First of all, nice images. I can resonate with what you are going through. It is prime importance that my photography be first and foremost enjoyable. That isn't always the case, as I sometimes get caught up in the "work" side of it. I try to keep that to a minimum, and just it is a problem just a few times throughout the year. Some suggestions that have worked for me... Go to new places, not the same ones over and over; Check out some art galleries; Get off the computer for a while; Take a workshop or two on new techniques or new interests. Your Mo-Jo is in there somewhere. Good luck!

3. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    both great images Jeff
    I understand what you are saying
    this summer I am in the same "funk" so to speak
    not really liking much of what I take

my recent trip to Acadia Park I got a few keepers, but actually had more fun my first trip there 3 years ago, when I cared much less about "sharpness", levels, etc etc

I too look at my books on Brassai,Weston,Waite,Steigletz and others to draw inspiration and to see that every shot doesn't have to be perfect, but has a message,or mood
    hence my screen name..:wink:

it will change soon
    the seasons, the colors, the passion

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
  4. aos111

aos111

Mar 9, 2008
    little rock ar
    You just got to balance enjoying your craft with your perfectionism. If I were shooting great shots like you've posted I would think it was a worthwhile endeavor.

Andy

5. I know exactly what you're going through. I went through it myself a little over a year ago. Photography became burdensome to me and I didn't want to lug a heavy gear setup around chasing the perfect shot.

My solution was to pick up a little D50, a couple cheap but decent lenses, a small backpack and begin shooting for fun. I had a blast, and the pressure to perform magic with a camera went away. Sure, I still wanted to get good shots, but I didn't obsess about it as I had previously. Not sure if this will work for you, but it helped me.

Good luck...and BTW, those are a couple fantastic images.

6. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Thanks all, glad to see that others have been through this...not glad that you went through it, but that it appears to be a pretty common thing.....

Thanks for the image comments, I appreciate it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.