Help - I own a beagle

A few weeks ago I got a bichon-beagle mix dog. I even posted photos of Toby here. Now I have a problem - he is chewing and chewing and chewing. I think my mix has a beagle personality.

This morning it started on our carpet. I read read and heard that beagles start chewing as puppies and chew and chew the rest of their lives.

I bought toys but he gets tired on them soon. He likes to chew on things that come apart. I have raw hide bones but do not feel like going through $6 worth of bones a day.

Someone told be used inner tubes are good.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. My wife and I want to keep Toby.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a lab puppy some 2.5 months ago (he's now almost 5 months old) and he chews alot. I don't know beagles and how they are but I was told Lab's chew everything as well.

What has worked for me thus far has been keeping an eye on him, giving him only his toys when he is in the crate, and making sure he brings a toy out when he comes out, so he knows what to chew on. Scold him when he chews on things he is not supposed to, and keep it up until you attempt to give him the things he wants to chew on and doesn't go for it. Don't scold in a manner that makes him afraid of you but in a way to let him know you're unhappy with his actions. I've had to be very very stern with him about it (I win every stare contest) but he's learned very well and only chews his toys thus far.

I hope that works for you. It's worked for me thus far.

N

nooykt

I raised a beagle puppy. I heard that they sell bad tasting solution you can put on stuff to discourage your dogs from chewing. Every time she would start chewing on something she wasn't supposed to (like chairs, my hand, etc.) I would put wasabe on them. She dropped the habit soon thereafter. It worked for me.

Beagle

My first love was a Beagle, man what a dog he followed me around everywhere.

For the chew problem, you might consider separating the dog from your stuff.

A kennel or a safe room (or even a room with a cordoned off area) that will only allow access to the dogs stuff when you are not around.

You need to teach the dog what is yours (and off limits) and what is his (and fair game). Segregation especially while still young works well.

Lots of luck,

I have a black lab/Vizsla mix, and she used to chew on everything. I was told to use this stuff, and spray it on everything that your dog chews on.
lg_50495_411b9.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My dog still chewed on some stuff, even after i sprayed it. A friend told me to spray it directly in their mouth as soon as you see them chewing on something they should not be. it worked like magic, she never chewed on it again. Might take a few weeks, but it works. I got it from PetsMart.

I once lived with a 140 pound, 3 foot tall (on all fours) borzoi that had a problem with such things.

When he was young, anyway.

He got it into his head that it was okay to chew something as long as it was in the back yard.

So what he would do is steal my clothes, shoes, whatever, and drag them into the back yard and go at it. I would see his nose poke around the corner looking to see if it was all clear to rush by with my favorite jeans.

One time I left the sliding door just open enough that he decided to pull the rug under the dining room table outside and you can guess the rest.

This legendary chewer would even chew on the house. Literally. I had to replace siding, 4x4 porch posts, etc.

In the end, he grew out of it and it was no longer a problem. The occasional rope or giant rawhide chew kept him happy.

For my way of thinking, not keeping them isn't an option. Unless there is a known place for them to go, once I take them home they are my problem until they die.

Don't give up too easily and best of luck.

I agree, Kong balls with peanut butter will keep any dog busy for a long time.

Beezle, i have had my share of chewed up door moldings, 4x4 posts holding the retaining wall, and the dog house in the backyard. Both of my dogs grew out of it.

I have a five year old long haired weiner dog. It does not bother any thing as long as I am home, but let me leave and all bets are off. She goes nuts when I leave, her prime target is the last thing I touched. So several B&H catalogs, photo mags, bird mags, bit the dust. Any loaf of bread on the counter is fair game.(the birds get it then) Last month she took care of all the bills for me. I still have not lost near as much as I did to my X when she moved out. If you think for one second I am going to spank that little bundle of love you`r nuts. Right now she is in my lap, an hour from now she will eat a sofa.

I had a Beagle once. . . it had 6 puppies. . . I sold the first 5 very quickly. . . the 6th was sold ONLY if the "puppy buyer" took the Mother as well.

Chewing is often based in two things:

a) Separation anxiety - dog chews stuff when you leave
b) Boredom

Several suggestions, most of which have already been posted:

a) Crate train your dog. Dogs like having their own space to get away from things as they get older. Whenever you can't be immediately supervising the dog, into the crate with a good stuffed kong.

b) More exercise. Longer walks, more time outside DOING something with you.

c) Get him enrolled in beginner level obedience. They will help you solve a lot of problems by being able to see what is going on. As well, most dogs crash hard after class, it's a lot of mental stimulation. If you then do your homework each night, you'll tire your dog out more b/c of the mental exercise.

I bought some Bitter Apple. A teacher at my school said her dog chewed the walls until she sprayed it with BA.
I am keeping him nearer to me - cutting down the rooms he is allowed to be in.
Gretchen - I do B, I have signed up for C (doesn't begin till 5/22), and have a question on A. How often do you keep it in the crate? Is it all teh time when you are not home and overnight? More - less?

I have had a Beagle, "Max" now for 11 years. He is wonderful with the kids and wouldn't hurt a fly.......but..........He has eaten a couch, a chair, a brand new garage door, (actually chewed a hole through it, and it was aluminum!) I just redid my kitchen last year and he proceeded to rib the molding off around the brand new door to the deck. He has eaten the windows in my living room. (which weren't even a week old as I had just replaced them!) He is now having prostate problems and is urinating all over my house. He will not "go" when I walk him he waits until we get back home! We tried crating Max but he would "do his duty" in the crate and roll in it. We had to bath him daily. He eventually ate his way through the crate and we gave up on it. We now keep him confined to the garage during the day when we are at work. I will rebuild the garage when Max is no longer with us. The vet told us that Max suffers from "separation anxiety" and has prescribed Paxil for him. (doesn't really work)
I have aged 20 years during the time I have had him. I would have tried to find Max a new home years ago but my wife and kids would disown me.
Good luck with your Beagle. I had a neighbor who had a Beagle for 16 years and he said the beagle dug out of his yard under the fence the day he died!

Stuffed Kongs are a good idea...frozen stuffed kongs are even better because they last longer. Peanut butter is a great stuffer.

Nylabones work well too if your dog will use them. Our GSD has gone through two (well, one and a half really) and is on his 3rd.

Puzzle toys sometimes work well too as it occupies the dog's mind. Our Elkhound/GSD mix loves her puzzle ball. Has learned how to roll it in all the right ways to get the treats out of the middle. Our GSD can't figure it out to save his life but lil' sis knows how to work it!

Bitter Apple spray can work very well too as an additional deterrant, but working the dog more is a better solution. Good luck!!

Chewing is often based in two things:

a) Separation anxiety - dog chews stuff when you leave
b) Boredom

Several suggestions, most of which have already been posted:

a) Crate train your dog. Dogs like having their own space to get away from things as they get older. Whenever you can't be immediately supervising the dog, into the crate with a good stuffed kong.

b) More exercise. Longer walks, more time outside DOING something with you.

c) Get him enrolled in beginner level obedience. They will help you solve a lot of problems by being able to see what is going on. As well, most dogs crash hard after class, it's a lot of mental stimulation. If you then do your homework each night, you'll tire your dog out more b/c of the mental exercise.

Go with everything Gretchen advises.
I'm currently with my second beagle. Casey the first one never had any issues with chewing. Jax only had one moment of weakness and tore all the stuffing out of the sofa's arm rest. Wasn't his fault really, after being home by himself all day, we left him alone again while we went out to a movie. After that we started keeping him in a crate while we were out. We also use the rubber Kong toys with peanut butter as well as rope chew toys. Now that he's older, we don't use the crate anymore and he's fine.

This is Jax.
original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Regarding how often my dogs are crated:

When we both worked full time in 9-5 jobs, the dogs were crated while we were gone. As they got older (i.e. over 18-24mos) and proved themselves not to be nervous in nature, and not to be destructive, they were allowed to be out.

Yes, the dogs are crated overnight too. Most of them put themselves to bed by 9:30 or 10p each night. The crates were up in the house, with doors left open. Each dog would go to his or her den and curl up. We've since had the floors re-done and now everybody lives downstairs til we find a new house.

Dogs spend about 70% of their day sleeping if no one is around. No difference sleeping in a crate or out, as long as they have plenty of room to move in the crate.

I find with the kongs that stuffing with pbutter and treats, then sticking in the freezer, and then giving them once frozen makes them last longer. I also give raw marrow bones (never cooked/smoked ones!) to help them bide their time (and clean their teeth). :smile:

Not quite the same, but perhaps some help.

I don't have a dog. I have cats. (and a kid, but that's another story!) When I got Jasmine from the pound, she chewed everything. She would chew my porcelain statues, my wooden rocker, dining room chairs, you name it. I was firm with a "NO" and usually clapped my hands or made another loud noise. I also gave her extra attention in the evening. It seemed to work after a month or so. She doesn't chew on anything except her toe jam now.

Oreo is a paper chewer. Any magazine, newspaper, napkin, etc. that falls on the floor is fair game. She is more efficient than my paper shredders. My kid actually got to use a version of the old classic "my dog ate my homework" this year. Oreo destroyed it for her. I can't seem to teach her not to chew. Keeping all paper stuff off the floor is the only way.

fact, dogs chew a lot while younger (up to 2 years I think) After that, it can calm down, but there can still be issues, and they forget at times what they can or cannot do.

I have a safe laundry room where my Shelties come in, and except at night, that is where both stay if in the house. to sleep, I separate them to two quarters. Generally, durable surface floor, a bed they can call their own, a few chew toys and they do fine. It's what they expect, so they don't even cry to get in the main house. This has worked for me for years. then if they have an accident, they are on vinyl floor, much easier to deal with. The little chuawaiua does have a few terror fits, but has limited damge to bathroom rugs. I've caught her a few times trying to get at carpet, and a correction fixes that. But she's our baby, in our arms, on our shoulder, beside us most the time, she she doesn't get into much mischef and she's allowed to sleep on couch during day while I am gone. (spoiled!)

I can only emphathize and sympathize.....we had a similar problem while our "sweet and docile" English Mastiff was maturing. Although very much a lap dog, she would not only chew on objects from solid granite all the way down to mere wooden structures, but devour them. She was a 165 lb. walking Cuisinart. The outdoor teak furniture has been dramatically "customized" while in her puppyhood.

It lasted about 9 months, and she still needs to watched as boredom will induce the most amazing behavior. We used to have a very nice oriental rug.....I'm glad I have pictures to remind me of it :Depressed

Good luck,
Ted

Latest threads

Top Bottom