1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

HELP, I want to play a joke on someone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GonzoBernelli, Aug 15, 2009.

1. I took this photo of a pen afficianado whose get-a-way from his day job hobby is anything to do with pens - especially reshaping nibs for other people. This shot is full frame from a D3 only resized to long side 1200 px. Original shot is 300 dpi. What I am looking for is a [free] shot of some sparks coming off a grinding wheel. My intention is to photochop them into this image (skillfully, I hope) to make the sparks appear as if they are coming off the nib when it is contacting the grinder wheel. Title it up, nick like, attach to gator board so the pen guy can advertise his presence at other local pen events.

PenEvent_2138.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Take that same dremel and grind a steel nail in the same position. You should get some sparks from that.

3. No dremel or anything like it. Also don't want the recipient to know what is planned.

4. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Nick I found one tutorial Here but you might get more help on this subject in the Retouching Forum

5. A quick Google search found:

Images at Flickr, you could check with one of photographers for permission.

You might find something suitable at Big Stock Photos or one of the other Micro-stock places for "cheap".

Nice idea.

I like Chris's idea, but can understand why you can't use the "same dremel", or the same hands :wink:, but don't you have a friend with a Dremel so you could set this up yourself? You MUST have at least one friend .... :wink::wink::biggrin:

6. I agree with the Flickr idea. I think most folks are quite generous about that. I found one guy with a beautiful image of a coal parlor stove and asked if I could use it. He said no prob and I just changed the background to black and now it's my home page for the heating biz.

7. McGunnigle

McGunnigle

Jul 13, 2009
    northwest
    Great idea... but why don't you want the person to know about it? is it a surprise or is it a joke?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.