Help! I'm an amateur!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Jon H, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Jon H

Jon H

Jun 25, 2005
    Stockton, CA
    Hello all. I am a new owner of the D70, my new best friend. I got it mainly because I wanted to get back into photography and also for when I travel. I have a question that you all might be able to help me with. I am thinking about getting a zoom lens and am thinking about the 70-300mm f4-5.6 G and also the 70-300mm f4-5.6D ED. I think the first one retails for about $200 and the second is twice the price for $400. I've heard that the ED has a better quality glass than the G but I'm wondering since I'm am amateur if this is really that big of a difference. But I want a lens that I can keep and use for a long long time. (I'm a poor college student, btw.) I welcome any and all comments/advice on other possible lenses that would be good as well. FYI I mostly do landscapes, nature, and portraits. Also any advice on any other subject would be great. Thank you all.
    - Jon

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

The ED lens is a great lens, but if you don't want to spend that kind of money consider the Sigma 70-300 Super APO Marco instead.
    I bought the "G" lens and returned it and bought the Sigma instead and it was a pretty good lens. I have since upgraded to a faster lens, but that lens served me well/

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
  4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi jon-

i found this on techbargains:

Onecall has the nikon Digital SLR Zoom 300 Bag and 70-300mm f/4-5.6 G Lens Kit with D70 extended warranty for $149.88, $14.91 shipping. Tax in WA, WV

https://www.onecall.com/PID_25880.htm

ricky

5. Nikon or aftermarket?

I started with a couple tokinas
    well after a couple years I bought Nikon ED lens
    and then got into the AFs lens

just on Thursday another $1200 for a 17-55mm AFs :eek:

Nikon has a certain quality that shows

depends on where you go with photography.......

a couple hundred buxs for a lens... and have great quality

or several thousand on several lens to make a living?

go with Nikon

6. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    That looks like a nice starter kit. I just bought the Nikon 28-200, which I like so far. Still trying out the Nikon 70-300ED.

Can someone tell me if I should just use the 28-200 as a walk around lens and use my kit lens, 18-55, for wide angle needs. Then, wait on the 70-300 until I see if Nikon is going to redesign a 70-300 for the DX series? Right now, my 70-300 purchase qualifies for the $50 rebate, making it $289.

I was told by a Ritz Camera clerk, where I bought both lenses, that the digital lenses will perform better than the film lenses. I tried the 55-200 but didn't care for it that much.

Will try to get myself signed up with a host service so I can show my work. So far, everything is on automatic. I know, I've got to start challenging myself. I love my D50. But, that lens lust stuff is becoming a problem and I haven't gotten anywhere near four figures yet :roll:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.