Help in low light without flash

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Rui Lopes, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Today I'll be heading to a concert in which my daughter will perform. The event will be held under low light and I'll use my NIKON D200 plus 85mm f/1.8 and 80-200 2.8, on tripod. May be I also bring the 35mm f/2 trying to capture the whole place. I cannot afford to shoot over ISO800 because of the horrible noise the camera produces beyond that sensibility.
    Given the fact that I'll shoot on tripod, in manual mode, around f/2, what minimum shutter speed you'll recommend to capture sharp images of the singers using the 85?
    Thanks for your help.
    --

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Depends on how much movement there will be in your subject(s). Obviously, on a tripod, camera shake is not an issue, so you may be able to get quite long shutter speeds if the subject is reasonably still.

3. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Do you have any Noise reduction software?

If not, look at this. The Community Edition has some limitations but it is free.

4. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    More than a little late, (I just saw this) but anyway, I use 1/320 to avoid blur in the very fast action shots, but 1/160 could do if it's not too fast. Then in comes noise ninja to remove some of the noise.

How did your concert shots turn out?

Stephanie