Help me buy a monitor

Decided that I would like a monitor to connect to my 2015 MacBook Pro. Main usage would be post processing of pictures, and standard “office” work (email, word processing, surfing the web).
What should I be looking for? Are Adobe RGB and 4K a must for basic photo editing?

my budget is limited to about $500, so EIZO and NEC level displays are definitely out
Any suggestions?

If you are happy with a 24” monitor one Eizo model should be close to your budget, the Eizo CS2420 or its earlier incarnation the CS240.
https://colorconfidence.com/products/eizo-coloredge-cs2420-24in-ips-monitor?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIouiclPXI5gIVS7DtCh32_gnJEAAYAyAAEgKIX_D_BwE

If you do not already have one and are serious then a calibration device is a must ideally X Rite i1 Display. Used with the Eizo Color navigator software allows direct hardware calibration of the monitor - the way to go!

I own a CS240 and am really impressed with quality and feel it offers very good value.

I have one of the HP Z series. Excellent quality and great value for money. It complements a business monitor from HP, an older one.
As I also have an HP laptop that has both an integrated and a discrete graphics card I can run my 2 HP monitors in addition to my laptop's screen at the same time.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
You don't really need Adobe RGB unless you are doing professional type printing using a proper colour management workflow throughout and using the paper profile for the exact paper, printer, and ink. You would need to study the subject carefully before embarking on this.

You don't really need 4K - if you are editing in great detail you can always zoom in.

Far more important for photo editing is calibrating your monitor, so budget for buying a calibration device, as TonyW suggests.
(That Eizo CS2420 looks very nice - I'm going to need a new monitor in the next year as my oldest one, a very good but very old Dell, is getting slowly dimmer and dimmer, and is now at the point where it can no longer quite reach the brightness required for accurate calibration.)

I've been very pleased with my new LG Ultrafine 4K monitor, which is especially convenient because it has a Thunderbolt 3 connection that just plugs into my MBP -- no fuss, no muss! It can be used with other types of connectors, too, though I'm sure. Image quality is excellent and it definitely makes editing my images a much more pleasant process!
I would agree Connie, I too have an LG 4K monitor and love it. A real pleasure to edit images using this monitor.

Real Name
Ken
NEC has a number of lines in addition to their popular MultiSync series (e.g. E and EA series). And they do sell refurbished directly from their website, although it has been undergoing some revamping of late. I have purchased several from them and their customer service is excellent. If on a budget, it is going to be a preference call if you are considering 4K or Adobe RGB, as I am not sure that you can get both in a quality monitor at your set budget. In either event, do try to stay with IPS panels, and if possible LED back lighting. And as it has been mentioned above, buy a puck and calibration software. NEC offers Spectraview, and I like it because it makes color corrections in the LUT, and it is easy to use. Most of the above monitors are good quality as well, so you do have some choices. If your budget is really hard pressed, I believe some of the Dell monitors can be a good buy, but it is a bit of a panel lottery with them at times.

Good luck,

--Ken

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom