Help me choose a monopod!

B

Brandon Mizar

I am looking for a monopod for a few different reasons. I will be using it for my D2Xs and 300 2.8 at my boys t-ball games and also will be using it for weddings were light level is low and do not want any camera shake from the low shutter speeds.

Light weight is obviously something I want but I also want it sturdy and easily collapsible.

I'd challenge anyone to find one better than the Manfrotto 685B (Neotec). There is probably a newer model now. It is automatic, strong, tall and very fast. I use one with a 3232 tilt/swivel head and a Wimberley C-10 clamp. It a little heavier than a CF one but ...

I have the same monopod with the Bogen swivel head and newly acquired RRS lever clamp on top. Fast to setup and breakdown when you need to move at a moments notice.

Good luck.

-Eugene

I had the Neotec 684B and it is extremely convenient for one-handed height changes on the go. It is a bit on the heavy side, but is very sturdy. I didn't like the slippery hard plastic used on the handle of my 684B model. I ultimately switched to a Feisol CF monopod (much, much lighter yet very sturdy) because I found I wasn't changing heights all that often.

B

Brandon Mizar

I have the RRS L bracket for my D2Xs. Will I need anything else to mount it to the monopod? Does RRS make a head for the monopods that will work with my L bracket?

The RRS B2-Pro clamp (~$72) and Manfrotto 3232 (~$20) are often used together on top of a monopod.
The RRS clamp provides the Arca-Swiss style quick-release and the 3232 gives you the ability to tilt.

B

Brandon Mizar

Sweet!!! Thanks guys. Looks like I am placing an order tonight.

I highly recommend the Gitzo GM2540 6X carbon fibre monopod. Weighs 12.8 ounces, supports 26.4 pounds! Anti-rotation legs all open with one twist for immediate deployment.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/475914-REG/Gitzo_GM2540_GM_2540_Mountaineer_6X_Carbon.html

I use the Manfrotto 3232 swivel head, the stainless steel 3/8" hardware mentioned on the RRS site in "all about monopods", and the RRS lever release (works as well on a pod as on their ball heads). The hardware is critical, as the standard bolt is too short to get more than a couple turns engaged. If it loosens any, you can lose the quick release and camera off any pod you choose. The hardware is only a couple bucks, and is longer so your quick release is fully engaged.

RRS lists the Gitzo GM-2540 monopod as the very best monopod made. That is quite an endorsement. Frankly, I agree. It supports my D2X with 200-400VR or with 200/2.0 effortlessly. Check it out!

BTW, a great place to order this pod, hardware, flip head, and release, is directly from RRS. If you buy it all from them, they will assemble everything at no charge.

Good luck!

Hi Brandon,

Someone correct me if I am wrong on the setup here, but with a 300 2.8 I think you are going to want to attach the monopod directly to the lens collar, and not the body of the camera. I have a 300 2.8 and this is what I do. I also have a gimbal head for my tripod (which I have used on occasion with the monopod), but my point of attachment is always the lens collar. The bracket on your body would be very useful for shorter lens work, but I am afraid that the 300 2.8 is too heavy.

Here are some pictures of Eng45ine/Frank. Notice that he just has his monopod screwed into the collar of his 300 2.8. This is what I do when I am shooting sports, and I use the gimbal for wildlife stuff.

140814251-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

140811003-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

No to thread jack here, however, which is better. 3 section or 4 section monopods. I'm assuming the 3 section would be more stable but one would be adding length to collapsed down size. Is my assumption correct.

I use the Bogen 680B. No head or clamp, I just screw the lens onto the platform. It collapes really short and is a tank.

SRA

I'm using the Gitzo 5540. Although a four section monopod it is a tank. Solid, thick, but lighter than any serioius monopod I have seen. If the scheckles are burning a hole in your pocket take a look. I think it is well worth it. You can mount anything on it.

I am currently using the Bogen/Manfrotto 681B which is a very sturdy platform to shoot from along with the Bogen/Manfrotto 3229 Swivel Tilt Head. The 681B is also very easy to use and transport...a good combination IMHO.

Happy Hunting! :Waldo:

Doesent really matter..pick a good brand and get the cheapest. Also attach the lens not the body if using a 300:wink:

I think I'll go with the 681/3229 as well.

Last questions before I buy. Is the 3229 needed? I'll be using the 80-200 only on the pod so it has the ring to mount directly.

Also, is the 3229 sturdy enough.

I think I'll go with the 681/3229 as well.

Last questions before I buy. Is the 3229 needed? I'll be using the 80-200 only on the pod so it has the ring to mount directly.

Also, is the 3229 sturdy enough.

I prefer shooting without the 3229. The 3229 will be sturdy enough(I like RRS bracket modification for it).

Wow!! That RRS bracket is not cheap.

I think I just have to go the cheap route for now. I also will not be using the mono that much.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I have the Manfrotto 685B (Neotec) coupled to the 3229 head (quick release plate). I use it with the 80-400 VR & attach it via the tripod collar - use it for the boys soccer games. Advantage of the 3229 is it allows me to shoot vertical if the needs be.

The Neotec design is extremely easy & quick to adjust - no undoing clips etc.

hope this helps.

Latest threads

Top Bottom