1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Help me decide what to buy

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Pianisimo, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

FINALLY. My dad is okay with letting me buy pretty much whatever I want.

I have $1500 at the moment.

Option 1: A 70-200 VR, I've wanted one of these forever and it's kind of my ultimate goal. A D3 or D700 is way too much camera for me, I could see myself using a D300 at the most, just because I already have access to a D80 and as long as I can get a used D300 for only a few hundred more than a D90, I would. But basically I have no motive of updating my camera, I just want some glass. Currently I'm shooting with my dad's 55-200 vr...not cutting it. I don't use the range THAT often, I'll admit, but I need something telephoto. And I loved it when I used it last. It's just...well, ALL of my money. And I'd still need a BW filter for the thing, and a semi decent monopod.
    (I'm also considering the Sigma 30mm 1.4, Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 or f/1.8, SB-800, 80-200mm f/2.8 af-d two-ring, etc)

Option 2: a rangefinder. Man I want one. I could probably afford a M6 with crappy glass, but I'd rather have a Bessa R(3A or 4A with a 40mm nokton or a 21mm biogon). I also REALLY want a Nikon S2 and a 5cm f/1.4 which would only be $500-600. I'd add the Voigtlander VC meter ($200) and I'd be set, a 50 is all I really care to shoot with and the finder is perfect for that.

Option 3: a hassy 500cm. There's a local one on craigslist with an extra back and the 80mm zeiss for $400 (!!!) which is a real steal. But medium format is hard for me to shoot and even harder for me to develop and EXTREMELY difficult for me to scan (actually, I can't do it at all at the moment so I'd need a better scanner). I kind of want to pick it up and sell it on ebay and make a profit - I REALLY want to use one but it just doesn't seem to be too easy for me at the moment :( 

What should I go with? I REALLY want an S2 or a Bessa R, but the 70-200 vr is kind of the lens of my dreams. I'd almost rather wait though, because I can live without it for a while and if a new one comes out and pushes the price down, that's a serious factor for me. I'm not buying anything new, I never do (except for the 50 1.8 and the speedlight, which are too cheap to save much money on used).

2. That's quite the wish list........If your heart is set on the 70-200 2.8 go for it. It's pro glass all the way and they hold their value extremelly well. Of course this is just one mans opinion...I'm sure you'll get plenty.......:biggrin:

Cheers

Ted:smile:

3. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Slow down young fella:tongue:.Have you considered getting a used D2H. Dont let the 4 meg pixal throw you off. This camera is a winner. And once you use a po Nikon body,as they say there is no going back.
    As far as glass goes. I would go with some classic Nikkor AIS like a nikkor 35 f2, 50 1.4, 105 f4 micro. And than you would still have enough for a clean 80-200 2.8 ED. You could go along way with those 4 lenes and if needx be, sell them for pretty much what you paid for them when/if you want to up grade.

Gregory

4. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

Thanks Ted, I'm definitely thinking about going for it... :) 

Greg: LOL! I'll slow down...a bit ;) 

I've looked at the D2H. I have nothing wrong with 4 megapixels at all, I know it's a decent camera and all. But...and don't get me wrong, it's a great solid body, but...I'm not a pro and I'm not doing pro shooting. I don't need weather sealing, I don't need 8fps, and I don't need something that big, so I'm not too inclined to spend $400 and sell my D50 to get one.

And I do love classic Nikkors - I have some pre-AI's (unmodded) which I use regularly on my F ('72) and even on my D50, they fit even though they aren't supposed to as long as you are careful about the focusing piece on the mount. Another thing I want - a FM and a 50mm f/1.2! Gahh. I have serious NAS and no money to spend on it :(  I want that combo too but it's not as urgent as the S2 or the 70-200 vr.

5. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Im glad you took my ribbing with a good spirit. Thats cool. Yes lust after the Nikkor 50 1.2 AIS. It's the best 50 nikkor ever made. I know Iv had them all. In fact Iv got a Nikkor 50 1.4 AIS thats a beater but sharp as a tack. P.M me. It's not worth selling , but I would be willing to donate it, to your feed your lust for nikkor AIS.

Gregory

6. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    If I were in your shoes I'd get the 70-200VR and save up for a teleconverter... have fun!

7. Seems a bit pointless getting the 70-200 tbh if that's the case. A lot of people seem to have great success with the Sigma 100-300 (even with the 1.4 on), so why not try that?

8. PiotrC70

PiotrC70

Sep 18, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    The question needs to be asked... What type of photography do you like to do?
    You love the range but don't use it often? So which is it? :confused: 

Telephoto is nice, but what are you gonna do when you need something closer than 70mm? I would go for the 24-70 2.8 for the same price as the 70-200 2.8. if you're looking at dropping it all on one single lens.

Good luck in your choice.

9. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

Thanks guys.

I'm considering the Sigma 70-200 or 50-150, just because I have never really felt the need to go over 200mm. The 100-300 is an f/4 (otherwise it would be over $2grand like the sigma 120-300 2.8) and I want something faster - but, like you said, I already have access to the 55-200 vr. Granted, when I go to college next year I'll ONLY have the D50, 50 1.8, and 10-20 unless I get something else. Now, I'm starting to think the ideal move would be a 80-200 2.8 two-ring AF-D and the S2 and 5cm f/1.4 because I want both that longer range, and a rangefinder with a fast 50.

10. Apollux

Apollux Guest

Have you considered investing on lighting instead of glass?

That little change of paradigm sure did a hell of a difference on my images.

11. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    I also vote for a flash and TTL cord, good investment. Or maby even a hot light.

Gregory

12. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

I'm thinking about it. I don't use lighting every day - nor do I have any kind of a studio set up or do that many portraits - but there are times where I've used the SB-600 off-camera from the D80 and had a lot of fun doing it. I'm thinking about it.

Edward: Yeah, I've looked at the 17-55. The 24-70 is too expensive for me considering the shear size and weight, and the fact that I'd rather have the wide end as I am shooting DX. But, my dad has the 18-70, which is 90% of that lens as a whole, plus a bit more telephoto for a fifth of the price. I've tried out the 17-55 and I like it, but it's awefully heavy for someone who doesn't use a midrange zoom much. I had a 24-120 VR and sold it. I'd rather stick to mostly primes in the midrange area, like the Sigma 30mm 1.4 (if only Nikon made one faster than f/2...). So far, the 80-200mm f/2.8 and S2 and 5cm f/1.4 is the best idea I have, and upgrade to the 70-200 VR later. Maybe I'll have some money to throw at alienbees or speedlights, I dunno.

13. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    With $1500 in your pocket you'll easily find a 500c ( or 500cm ) with a 80mm and a back ( my kit set me back $1000 if I recall ). So that leaves you with enough to buy a scanner ( say an Epson 4490 or V500 ) and some film.

I don't know how the market is in the US today concerning Leica but you can definitely find a good M6 for "cheap". I managed to find an M6 for 600€ ( roughly $820 ) and a 50 summicron for 500€ ( $680 ) , so that's around your budget … Be sure though that you like using a rangefinder because it is different than a reflex camera. Some people fall in love while others just can't get used to it.

14. Just purchased the 70-200 a few months back... love it much. That's my pic! You won't regret it.

15. I'd strongly suggest the 80-200 f/2.8 if you don't feel like dropping $1500 on the 70-200. It so far has been a great piece in my kit and more than satisfies my telephoto needs. Other than that I'd suggest an SB-800 along with a shot-thru umbrella + stand. You could definitely get all of those with $1500.

16. I agree. The 80-200 can be had for half the price of the 70-200 (about $700), and IQ is just as good. Add a used 28-105 for about $175, a used Tokina 12-24 for about $400, and a used SB-800 for about $250 - and you'll have a great kit. All for about $1500.

17. I think you need a wide angle, or those medium format options that you listed

You don't use midrange and you don't use telephoto - what do you shoot then?

Or do you not shoot those because you need better glass?

:confused: 

18. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    70-200

19. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

I have a Sigma 10-20 that lives on my camera 80% of the time and I love it. I don't need anything faster or better in that area.

The 50 1.8 is my portrait lens and I might upgrade to the 1.4 AF-S if the image quality is signifigantly better.

So, maybe I'll get the 50 1.4 AF-S, the Nikon S2, and perhaps a 80-200 two-ring until I can afford the 70-200.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.