Help me do it on purpose - and better

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by paradiddle, Jun 26, 2007.

1. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    I don't know what you would call this type of shot, but.......

I was experimenting with manual camera/manual flash. Exposing for a bright back ground and starting with full manual flash and backing it down. After getting loaded into my PC. This picture wasn't that good. I hit full DLight, dropped the brightness, converted to B/W, and full sharpening. I don't know what to call this but I really like it. I wish his right eyebrow wasn't blown out.

Does anyone know how to do this on purpose?

http://paradiddle.smugmug.com/photos/166729315-600x600.jpg

Thanks

2. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Hey Gary, this is usually called "high key". You can always overexpose your subject, and shoot with a bright/white background. Just take a look at your histogram on your camera when you shoot, and it should look right-biased (i.e. more towards the bright side).

3. You can make your subject any degree of brightness that you want. Here is a controlled experiment:
    1. Camera on manual, flash on TTL
    2. Meter the background and zero out your meter
    3. Take the shot and look at the brightness of your subject. If you want more go to your flash and click on the + button. Take another shot.
    4. If you want the subject even brighter, click on the + button again.
    5. Etc., etc.

4. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Flash on TTL

Gordon - I will do. I have a question about the TTL. Doesn't TTL somehow take over and try to control the exposure. So if it is over exposing won't the TTL start to under power?

I will try what you said I just can't yet. I probably try and over think things.

Thanks,

5. jcovert

jcovert Guest

Also might try the Posterize effect in Photoshop.

6. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Jcovert - I don't have photoshop. Right now I am only using picture project that came with the D80.

7. Remember you are adjusting the flash to compensate and your camera is in manual.