Help me fix my Nikon View!

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Steve S, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    ok, here's the scenario to get you up to speed. N View's been hanging up at times for many months now, so I thought maybe if I installed the latest update, it would somehow magically repair itself. This didn't happen! So, I decided to start fresh, and do an uninstall, then reinstall of the brand new, full version. Well during the uninstall, it asked if I wanted to also delete some shared files, and, (this is probably where I messed up), I clicked YES. Now nothing works, and I can't even start N View, or uninstall it either. It doesn't even have a proper shortcut icon anymore. Tried System Restore, twice, but that didn't work. Can anyone help me with this HUGE problem? I've tried for hrs to fix it myself without any success. What can I do to fix it?

2. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Steve,

There is a Utilities folder included in the latest version of Nikon View. In that folder there is a file named RegSweeper.exe. Run that application and it should remove any remnants of Nikon View that remain in your registry and allow you to reinstall from scratch. It that doesn't work, it may take some registry cleanup to get you back to a fresh start.

Joe

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    See this error message Joe:

It won't run, as I got this error message:
    original.
    I'm running Win XP Home btw.

4. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Try reinstalling Nikon View, then try the uninstall again..... also there is a free registry fixer in SpyBot (an adware and spyware removal program) which is also free - it works well, I have a better one but it is not free.

5. Welcome to wonderful world of Nikon software installers. I just spent an entire day trying to install Capture after running the idiotic "Uninstaller" that doesn't uninstall everything.

Amazing how a company that can produce such magnificent cameras can produce such inept software installers.

All I can say is "GOOD LUCK!"

Woody

6. The only good thing about Nikon view is its file transfer utility when you insert a CF card into the reader. Beyond that, do yourself a huge favor and buy ThumbsPlus Pro http://www.cerious.com/thumbnails.shtml

Once you use ThumbsPlus, you will never miss Nikon View.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Wish more ppl would read your words!

In fact, I do use Nikon Transfer to transfer my images off my CD card, largely because when properly set up, it preserves all the shooting data. I also been using Thumbs for many yrs, since v.3, and since Ron R showing me it's ability to view 2 images side by side in Sync Mode, I still use it for reviewing my jpg previews, or nefs, if I don't happen to have jpgs, usually to choose the most critically sharp image of the 2.