Help me help my friend

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Huff09, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    So, here's the story. . .

I had recently read the tutorial on this site regarding creating an embossed signature for pictures. I messed around with it and added a sig to several shots.

Today, a buddy of mine is over and I am showing him the process and my finished products. He likes and decides to try it on one of his photos (one of his better liked ones at that).

The last thing I was showing him, as my phone started ringing, was how I created an action to automatically add the signature. As I walked off, he was going to play around with the process. By the time I got back he had somehow managed not only to NOT create his own signature, but for reasons I still don't fully understand he took the last thing I showed him (the action) and applied it to his photo.

Wouldn't be a big issue, but once he realized what he'd done he tried to undo it by simply closing the photo. Argggghhhhh. . . . . I don't understand people who just click "OK" or "Yes" whenever a dialog box appears assuming that will fix everythig. Apparently he falls into this group, however, and just breezed right past the warnings that he was going to be saving that newly signed photo.

Anyway, my signature is now firmly attached to his photo and I would like to help him remove it if possible. Is the only way by cropping or cloning? I'm thinking that's it, but wanted to defer to those of you with the PhD's in Photoshop. Any thoughts or advice would be great.

Thanks in advance eeryone.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Where is the original photo
    You never work on an original

If that was the original...
    Clone tool...patch tool..

3. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    if saved as a jpg which does not support layers or if image was flattened then only solution is to clone it out

4. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    Yes, unfortunately it was his original and it was already flattened. We basically decided to crop off what we could and then clone out the rest.

Gail, I talked with him about the importance of not working on the original. I'm pretty sure he won't be repeating that error in the future.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your time.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    We all lose one once in awhile and get our hands crossed:>)))