Help me identify 2 birds...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Uncle Frank, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Anyone with an interest in avian photography is fortunate to live in Florida! I'm visiting mom over the holidays, and ran into this handsome chap on the back lawn. He even posed for a portrait. What variety of birdie is he?

Note that the above is a 100% crop from a d200 + 85/1.4 combo. Considering it's such a small piece of the frame, the detail is impressive.

I used the same rig to take this portrait of another bird, but I have an ID on this one... its a Birger.

Nancy, my mom, and I had the pleasure of visiting with Birger yesterday. He's quite the gentleman... he treated us to lunch and then let me fondle his fabulous collection of Nikon glass :Love: .

Sorry I haven't been around much, but I'm on dial-up while I'm at mom's house. Merry Christmas to All from West Palm Beach!

2. Merry Christmas Uncle Frank from the East Coast!!

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

That is a great picture of Briger... As for the first bird, I have no clue.

4. UF, the first birdie is an Ibis. The beak is the giveaway! Merry Christmas!!

5. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Let's see, the first one is one of those white birds with the long crooked beak...

Merry Christmas Frank!

6. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Merry Christmas, Frank...

Glad you found your way south to the warm weather. Have a good one!

7. Merry Christmas, Frank. Enjoy the sun, and the D200.

8. UF,
    That's definately an Ibis, pretty common in FL.
    Also, I wish you'd put that damned lens away and quit showing us photos shot with it ... you are going to cost me $$$$ :biggrin:

Merry Christmas
    Don

9. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Aha, so that's where you've been hiding! Nice shots, enjoy yourself and have a Merry, a Happy, and a Ho-Ho-Ho!

10. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    UF, that is an excellent shot of Birger. He is one of the nicest gentlemen that I know.

Regards,