Help me make this implied nude work

Discussion in 'Nikon Cafe Photo Clinic' started by Steve S, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Any suggestions to make this shot work and be less boring appreciated. I'll bin it if I have to, but thought I'd run it by you guys first. Was thinking maybe a high key conversion, change the background, vigneting, something.
    Am linking it due to it's somewhat revealing nature.
    http://home.comcast.net/~sshive2/Jenna-Web_4899.jpg

2. Hi Steve, thanks for posting this image. I made a few simple changes in PS CS and I liked the look of the image better. First I suggest that you burn in the background until it goes to an even black. I would also run the burn tool over her hair in the back to just make a slight change. I then would go to levels and drop the mid slider until it reads .88. After you have finished that go to Brightness/Contrast and move the brightness slider to +1 and the contrast slider to +3. You will also notice that I removed the bright spot on her nose by using the clone tool set to darken at 10%.

From a compositional standpoint I find the two lightest parts of the image vying with each other (visually) and would try a crop just above her buttocks and some off both sides. I like the subtle look of the partially obscured breast and feel that the lighting is about right. It is a visually appealing image whether or not you choose to crop it.

Here is my tweaked version.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Well, the bg and the image itself is improved, but you took away one of my favorite parts of the image in the process. To tell the truth, if I could dim down the buns, more like the brightness level of her breast, but keep them in the shot, and esp dim way down that masculine looking hand, (it isn't in real life, but the way she's holding it makes it that way), we might have something there.

4. If you like the composition as it is I wouldn't worry about cropping it. As I said, it is a nice image.

5. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Drats,

I just noticed I cropped your favorite part of the photo, I should read more carefully all the posts before I do my work,

but, to be truthful, since this is no longer an implied nude, and my work took care of the "implications", I will post this image here:

[​IMG]

I do tend to like the crop and focus on her face, and the strong lighting contrast in this BW conversion. But hey, it is only my preference, and you have yours, My eye gets lost - literally, in the other image and wanders around everywhere. I do think the image needed something as you stated, so I will leave the other attempts to those who dwell in these areas more frequently than I do.

Regardless I like the image as shot, very well, but I also like my cropped converted shot too.

Thanks for posting

Cheers,

Wade

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Gordon & Wade,

I really appreciate you guys tkaing the time to tweak this photo. Still not what I'm looking for. I've asked out resident high key expert, Lisa, to take a stab at it. When she gets it finished, I'll post the results of her efforts. It's that manly fist of a hand that's bugging me the most. I figure if she can get it mostly all white and monotone, then the hand might not be so offensive.

7. Your welcome Steve. Of course you could always clone out the hand with either the dark version or Lisa's hi key. I too learned the hi key approach from Lisa and have used it several times since. She is a real talent.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Final rendition by Lisa

Lisa was generous enough to take a stab at this shot, doing her high key PS magic on it, and I'm very satisfied with the results. She even made the "man hand" a bit more feminine. The only thing I added was a 12 deg CCW rotation of the original. Another lesson learned. There's really no substitute for getting it right at the time of the shoot. One of these days, I am going to have to learn the high key tutorial!
    http://www.pbase.com/sshyone/image/76363401

9. Lisa did well Steve but your rotation is way too much IMO. Your model appears to be tipping over. I would suggest something more along the lines of 5 degrees, if that much. My favorite would be Wade's B&W rendition.