Help me shoot mrsollars

Discussion in 'People' started by bep207, Apr 24, 2007.

1. bep207

bep207

Nov 27, 2006
    Columbia, MO
    's wedding on May 26th :smile:

Like i've said before mrsollars, Matt, is my future brother-in-law. I am photographing his wedding on May 26th.
    I have someone else assisting me and we have plenty of quality equipment:
    3-Nikon D80s (1 with battery grip)
    4-batteries
    18-135mm kit lens
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR
    Nikon 80-200 f/2.8
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8
    Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8 fisheye
    Nikon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 (useless?)
    1-SB 600
    2- SB 800
    3 light stands
    (i can get umbrellas if needed)
    Gitzo tripod
    Monopod
    16gbs of SD cards
    Macbook Pro in case i fill up those cards somehow

Now here are the questions
    I feel like I will be able to get great candid and "action" shots during the ceremony. It is the posed pictures that worry me most.
    I can easily do the potraits where you have a group of people standing shoulder to shoulder and the second row peeks their head through the first rows shoulders. But those are BORING! What are some alternate poses for groups?
    What can I do with groups of 3-20 to give more interesting looks? I want to avoid the group portraits from looking like your daughter's third grade class picture.
    If anyone has sample images PLEASE send them to me.. Either post them here or email me at bep207@truman.edu

Any other suggestions for photographing weddings?

2. What a good group of people...or is this a bad sign???

''SOMEBODY HELP ME SHOOT MRSOLLARS''

no replies......buried pages deep.

does this mean nobody is willing to help him ''shoot'' me? (good thing)
    does this mean nobody cares if he ''shoots'' me?? (very, very, bad thing)

thanks gang....maybe....

matt

3. Whoa, big time congrats, Matt!

Shoot away, Blake :tongue:

4. thanks peter,

you can see why it's ''the race for good equipment'' time right now.

matt

5. Easy, this was only posted two hours ago, and when a lot of north americans are at lunch. Some folks only log on at the beginning and the end of the day...

I shot a wedding a few years ago with UFrank's help, and Jarrell down in Jawja recommended a wonderful book to help me. Spent the whole plane ride studying. Great pose suggestions - out of the ordinary instead of the standards. A lot of great pointers in this book. Get it on Amazon.

6. Congrats on the upcoming nuptials, Matt. Get all your glass now before you need permission!! :eek:

7. exactly...

and lucky you....the assistance of UNCLE FRANK!! wow.....
    awesome.

well let me extend an open invitation
    to ANYONE wanting to genuinely help photo a wedding out of the goodness of your heart:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

i know i would love to meet you in person and i can say the same for blake (bep207). the extra help and skills would just be a bonus!:smile:

8. buy me a plane ticket out of CVG and I'll come help :biggrin:

9. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

any other offers.......

(cheapest plane ticket gets it)

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

10. If I lived closer, I'd give you a hand...

11. bep207

bep207

Nov 27, 2006
    Columbia, MO
    great suggestions, i will definitely look into purchasing that book

anyone have any personal experience posing groups?

12. These poses were suggested in that book and came off very well:
    If there's a staircase from which you can shoot:
    original.

You don't want various sizes just scattered throughout the crew... try to arrange them but not "high in middle, low on sides" as that's too standard...
    Don't be afraid to get into directing them as they don't have a clue what you're trying to accomplish. Frank nicnamed me Sarg by the end of the day :biggrin: A giggling gaggle of California girls is not easy to corral!
    original.

You will need to physically show them by example of the pose you want them to strike... and of course, you'll always get one of them going against the flow on purpose... Make sure NO ONE is talking while you take their photos as it puts their mouth in a very awkward position. You do have to tell them this as they just don't realize it.
    original.

This gallery has more examples of posing a large group.

If you want to do a phone chat about various ideas, I'm up for it. I have free LD in Cda and US. Preparation is the key for this to come off successfully.
    I shot another wedding for a photography buddy of mine, Bernie Heins, and they were very pleased with the whole thing. I don't have any of those online as Bernie did his own editing - bonus for me!

13. Very nice Sandi :smile: